What can we do to stop climate change? We are becoming increasingly concerned about the environment, and more aware of the problems caused by single-use plastics filling our landfill sites and oceans. Thinking about how to stop climate change might feel overwhelming, but we can all do something to help. Here we’ll share small lifestyle changes and simple ways to stop climate change, with ten easy changes to be more environmentally friendly.
What is climate change?
Climate change is the process by which our use of unsustainable energy sources such as fossil fuels causes damage to the earth’s atmosphere. This damage can result in a large-scale and long-term change to weather patterns affecting the seasons and our ability to raise livestock and farm crops.
How can we stop climate change?
Here are ten easy things we can do to stop climate change:
1. Get recycling
One of the quickest and easiest ways to prevent climate change from inside your home is to recycle. Always ensure that you check with your local recycling plant which items from glass to paper to plastic can be recycled.
2. Try to reuse as much as possible
Containers and bottles can often be reused, upcycled or repurposed. Use them to store leftovers, as a lunch boxes or to hold pens or make-up brushes.
3. Reduce single-use plastics
This is very important and can be done by buying products that do not have plastic packaging or have recyclable options.
4. Invest in canvas bags
These are a great alternative to plastic bags for carrying your shopping.
5. Where possible, walk, scooter or cycle to work or school
If the journey is too long, consider if there are carpool options with colleagues or friends.
6. Invest in long-life, reusable products
This could be in the form of bamboo toothbrushes, cloth nappies or metal straws.
7. If you are able to, switch to renewable energies
Ideas for this include:
- Putting solar panels on your roof
- Purchasing an electric car
- Switching to an eco-friendly energy provider
8. Turn it off
Make sure that lights, computers, switches and other electrical devices are turned off whenever they are not in use.
9. Change your diet
How can we stop climate change through our dinners? Try eating less meat and meat by-products. Plant based diets can be great for your health as well as being much better for the environment reducing the need for space and energy in the meat production industry.
10. Take a staycation
Rather than booking a flight abroad for your next holiday, try picking a location somewhere closer to home.
So there you have it: our top tips for how to stop climate change with simple lifestyle adjustments. These will help you do your part to protect the environment for future generations.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle as much as possible.
- Replace products with reusable options such as canvas bags, bamboo toothbrushes and more.
- Change how you travel from walking to work or school and booking a staycation instead of a holiday abroad.
- Consider switching to a plant-based diet.