You may want to go zero waste but it can be difficult to know where to start – but zero waste living is actually easier than you might think. With a bit of pre-planning and the right adjustments to your routine, we’ll help you learn how to live waste free. All it takes is a few lifestyle changes.
What is waste free living?
Waste free living means making small changes to reduce the impact you are having on the environment. This can include zero waste recycling where you ensure every item possible (from clothing to plastics) is recycled or reused as well as reducing the amount of non-recyclable products you buy.
Top tips to live a zero waste life
Try these 5 tips to start your zero waste journey:
1. Invest in zero waste shopping bags
A bag for life may seem like a good idea, but eventually the plastic will wear out and need to be thrown away. Use canvas or cotton shoppers to carry your shopping home with you instead.
2. Try and make your food zero waste
Two ways you can start waste free living with your shopping are:
- Buying in bulk. Long-life products such as pasta and rice can be bought in bulk. This will reduce the packaging of smaller, individually packaged alternatives.
- Buying loose fruits and vegetables. Instead of the convenient pre-packaged options, buy your fresh produce loose and use a mesh washable bag to carry them.
3. Zero waste tips for food storage
Old jam and sauce jars can be reused after being washed out to store homemade sauces or even decorated and repurposed as a container for your make-up brushes.
4. Zero waste swaps for regularly used products at home
Are you regularly buying disposable nappies, baby wipes, make-up wipes and sanitary products? Switch to washable cloth options or items like menstrual cups. You can also use plastic free soap and shampoo bars.
5. Zero waste living that saves you money
Reduce your energy usage to help go zero waste and lower your outgoings. Start walking instead of using the car, ensure your home is properly insulated and turn your thermostat down.
Now you have tops tips for switching to a zero waste lifestyle, you can take steps to reduce your waste and help the environment.
Start your zero waste journey with these easy lifestyle changes:
- Ditch plastic ‘bags for life’ for a cotton shopper instead.
- Buy loose fruit and vegetables and transport them in mesh bags.
- Buy long-life items like pasta and rice in bulk to cut down on individual packaging.
- Upcycle empty jam jars to store make-up brush holders or other items.
- Use reusable products like menstrual cups and washable makeup removers.