Mould is a house guest of the rather unpleasant and unwanted kind. It’s less common during the hot, dry months, but as soon as the climate becomes extremely humid, for example during Monsoon season, the risk of mould increases. We’ve compiled some useful information as to what mould actually is, and as well as how to get rid of it for good – and how to prevent it from returning to your home.
What is Mould?
Mould in the house is caused by dampness, and can often be found on walls and furniture as well as windowsills and frames.
Mould is a fungal growth, and while there are many different kinds, they are usually found thriving in humid environments, such as houses with a great deal of condensation.
Mould growth can be often found in bathrooms or basements, but it’s certainly not picky – it will grow anywhere that is humid enough.
It is not only unpleasant to the eye but can also be dangerous, causing respiratory problems among other things.
How to Get Rid of Mould
Do not try and brush the mould, or use a vacuum cleaner – this might only spread the problem.
For effective and long-lasting mould removal, the goal is to eliminate the mould by killing the fungus. If you’d prefer to avoid buying a specialized mould remover, a mixture of equal parts bleach and water in a spray bottle can work wonders. Just check the label on your chosen product and follow the instructions for safe use.
Apply the solution directly onto the mould until the mould changes its colour.
Have a paper towel ready to clean up the mould after. Dispose of these quickly and thoroughly after you use them to prevent the spread of mould.
After you’ve removed the mould, you can use a special fungicidal paint on the affected area to prevent further mould growth.
How to Prevent Mould
Mould removal is important, but will not help in the long term if you don’t eliminate the source of the problem, which is most likely a damp environment.
The most important step here is to make sure as little condensation as possible happens: keep rooms well ventilated, opening the windows regularly to make sure fresh air enters.
When it comes to preventing mould in house rooms, It’s particularly important to open windows in the bathroom after showers and baths, and in the kitchen, as you cook.
In cold weather, efficient heating is also important. This helps to prevent condensation which is conducive to mould growth.
You can also invest in a dehumidifier, which will keep the room’s humidity in check – the less humid a room; the less likely it is that any fungus will grow in unwanted places.
- Make your own mildew remover by mixing equal parts of bleach and water in a spray bottle. Just be sure to wear rubber gloves and ventilate the room when using strong cleaning products like bleach.
- You can buy special fungicidal paint to use after you’ve removed mould from walls. This will cover any stains left behind and prevent the mould from growing back.
- Dehumidifiers can help prevent mould from forming in rooms in your home.