Solid wood furniture is very popular in India, since it not only looks great, but can also last you a long time if taken care of properly. And you certainly will have to take care of it if your wood furniture has been in the family for several generations! But don’t worry, with the right strategy and cleaning products it’s simple to keep your wooden furniture looking it’s best. We’ve compiled a few tips and tricks on how to polish wood furniture and how to clean wooden furniture thoroughly to get you started.
How to Clean Wooden furniture
The tips below explain how to clean wooden furniture, but an essential part of everyday maintenance is to place protective mats or pads under them to prevent the wood from scratching – otherwise, your efforts will be in vain.
- If you’re wondering how to clean wooden furniture on the regular without much hassle, regardless of the wood finishing, you should get rid of the dust first.
- Make sure to attach a dusting brush to your vacuum cleaner to remove the dust on your wooden furniture to avoid scratching it. If you do not have a dusting brush attachment, opt for a soft microfibre cloth instead.
- Then apply a specialized wood cleaning product – always follow the instructions on the label, and choose your product to suit the finish on your furniture. Read on to find out which to use.
Know your Finishing
If you’re looking to give your wood a good clean, then it is crucial that you know what kind of finishing you are dealing with to choose the right wood cleaner to purchase.
Some of the most common wood finishing types include varnish, wax, or an unsealed finishing. Always check the label of any cleaner to make sure that it’s suitable and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- Unsealed finishing should never be left wet, and the cleaner should be applied with a cloth, not directly on the furniture.
- Varnish is sensitive to water as well – dusting with a slightly damp duster or cloth when doing a general clean is your best bet and for tougher stains you can use a specialized cleaning solution.
- Wax demands a soapy wood cleaner – always opt for a targeted commercial product.
- If your wooden furniture has a paint finishing, you’re lucky – this surface isn’t as sensitive as the other ones, and you can use a solution made with washing up liquid to scrub it.
Make sure to always test whichever cleaner you are going to use on a small spot first to make sure it won’t do any damage. When it comes to wood furniture, it is certainly better to be safe than sorry.