Here are some tips to keep any type of curtain clean, dust-free and fresh:
Acrylic bead or shell curtains:
- Hang a bedsheet behind the curtains, clip them with clothespins.
- Mix 2-3 drops of dish soap with 2 cups of water and pour it in a spray bottle. Spray it over the curtains from top to bottom.
- Wipe them with a cotton cloth, let them dry and remove the bedsheet.
- We recommend sending your velvet curtains for dry cleaning. If you try to wash them at home, chances are the colour might fade away.
Send formal and lined curtains to a trusted dry cleaner since they are expensive. But if they are old and you want to wash them by yourself, here’s what you need to know:
- Wash them in the machine on gentle cycle using cold water
- Lay them to dry on a flat surface.
- DO NOT dry them in the dryer, or the liner will most likely shrink.
Originally published August 5, 2019