Do you need cockroach control?
The first step to getting rid of cockroaches, is to establish whether or not you have an infestation. The first and most obvious sign is if you spot the cockroaches themselves – this is most likely to happen at night because they are nocturnal.
German cockroaches, which are brown with wings, are usually the most common in the household, as they are less dependent on having a water source. You may also spot the American cockroach, which is a more reddish-brown in colour, in your bathroom or kitchen. The oriental cockroach is dark brown in colour, and can withstand lower temperatures, so you may even see it at cooler times of the year.
Other signs of a cockroach infestation include brown dustings of droppings, or you might notice a musty smell if an infestation is particularly well established.
Cockroach control – how to avoid infestations
Knowing how to avoid a cockroach infestation is important because the insects are not only unsightly, but they also spread nasty germs that can aggravate allergies or cause stomach upsets. Follow these steps for straightforward cockroach control.
- Store any food in sealed containers or plastic bags.
- Clean surfaces thoroughly with a bleach-based cleaner, like Domex. This will remove any tempting crumbs and also disinfect any germs left behind by the cockroaches.
- Clean all food waste straight away, and make sure the dishes are washed straight after use – don’t leave them sitting in the kitchen overnight.
- Dispose of soiled nappies and wash dirty clothing as soon possible.
- Seal gaps or cracks in walls or around skirting boards, as this is where cockroaches are likely to hide during the day. This is particularly good for German cockroach control, as they are more likely to live beyond the kitchen or bathroom.
- Keep areas where food is prepared, like the oven or toaster, free of remnants of food or grease by using a tough cleaner like Cif
- Keep waste in sealed bins, preferably some distance outside the door.
How to get rid of roaches
Don’t worry if cockroaches have found their way into your house, despite your best cleaning efforts. Unless your infestation is severe, there’s no need to use pesticides just yet – all you need to do is lure them into a trap. Simply fill a tall, glass jar with water, and add some tempting chopped banana or coffee grounds for cockroach control that is safe, convenient and chemical-free. The greedy cockroaches won’t be able to resist going for a closer sniff, but once they’re in, they won’t be able to escape.
Cockroach control and getting rid of cockroaches is all about keeping your house as clean as you can – they won’t be keen on staying if there’s no food to eat!