There is nothing like coming back to a pleasant smelling home after a long day. There are a lot of ways to make your house smell good: whether it’s by lighting a candle, misting your room with a refreshing spray, or just using a commercial air freshener.
In case you want to try an authentic home-made solution, read this roundup of the best recipes which are easy to make and won’t break the bank.
1) How to make homemade room fresheners: spray bottles
There is an endless number of ingredients that you can mix together to create this easy and effective natural room freshener. Few essential things that you need are:
- 250 ml spray bottle
- 3/4 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of alcohol/vodka or vanilla extract
- essential oils
Alcohol, vodka or vanilla extract allows the homemade room freshener to dry faster, help to blend essential oils with water better. The former two also act as homemade disinfectants. For essential oils, choose any that you find appealing and feel free to experiment with different scents. Invigorating citrus scents like orange or grapefruit, as well as more gentle options like jasmine or rose, are safe options.
2) How to make room fresheners: Reed diffusers
Reed diffusers always look very sophisticated, but store-bought varieties can be pricey. Luckily, it’s incredibly easy to make one at home. For this elegant natural room freshener, you just need a few items:
- a vase
- bamboo skewers
- baby oil
- essential oils
- ribbons/stickers/decorations (optional)
The process can’t be simpler. Pour as many essential oils as you want in a vase, then fill the rest with baby oil. Next, just add the bamboo sticks and decorate the vase according to your tastes. Now you have a beautiful homemade air freshener in under 5 minutes!
3) How to make natural room fresheners: Simmer pots
Simmer pots are amazing options for natural room fresheners. Just fill 2/3 of a small stockpot with water and bring it to a boil. Add your ingredients and wait for a few minutes, then turn the heat down to simmer. The scent will last for two days if you top up your water regularly. However, always make sure to switch off your hop overnight.
You can vary the ingredients depending on the time of year: uplifting lemon, peppermint and rosemary can be great options for summers, while comforting scents of orange and cinnamon will make any house feel cosy in the winters.
- Essential oils are your best friends: mix and match according to your mood.
- Less is more: essential oils have a very strong scent, so try not to add too much of it.
- Safety first: always test oils and ingredients on a small area first to avoid damage to your home or to avoid an allergic reaction to you or one of your family members.