The living room is where many homeowners spend the majority of their time – working, eating, or simply relaxing – but doing these things in a messy environment can add unnecessary stress, and can be anything but a pleasant experience. Taking the time to tidy up your living space can transform your home from a cluttered mess to a tidy and contemporary abode.
How to Tidy Up and Get Rid of the Clutter
Decluttering should be the first step when tidying up a living room. Creating a more minimalist and workable space makes it easier to organise and clean up. Here are some tips on tidying:
- Start by getting rid of any clutter on the floor. Throw away or recycle any rubbish, and move any object that doesn’t belong in the living room to a different part of the house to be sorted later.
- Determine a place for everything to go. This is key to tidying up a room – everything needs a place. If something doesn’t yet have a place, put it to one side for the time being.
- If you have any items that you don’t like, or don’t use, consider putting them in storage, selling them, or giving them to charity. Don’t just keep something for the sake of it.
Cleaning the Living Room: 4 Easy Storage Solutions
For items that don’t yet have a place of their own, consider buying some clever storage solutions to help organise small trinkets and other objects. Here are some things you could try:
- Baskets. Some small baskets dotted around the living room are ideal for storing small objects. Baskets come in all shapes, sizes, and designs, so it should be easy to find one that matches your decor.
- Shelves. Shelves are excellent for displaying ornaments. If you’re worried about how the shelves will look, consider floating shelves, which will give a minimalist feel.
- Cupboards. For homeowners who find the prospect of decluttering somewhat daunting, cupboards with doors can be a great feature. You can put things in the cupboard, and simply shut the door so you can’t see any clutter!
- Media Storage. If you have lots of books, CDs, or DVDs, it may be worth investing in dedicated media storage units to keep everything out of the way and protected from scratches and damage.
Cleaning Living Room Floors and Surfaces
Once you’ve tackled the clutter, it’s time to focus on cleaning. Giving the living room a good spring clean will go a long way towards creating a fresh living environment.
- Sprinkle your carpet with baking soda before vacuuming to get rid of nasty smells.
- Use a soft brush attachment to vacuum your curtains.
- Dampen a microfibre cloth and wipe over surfaces to get rid of dust and dirt.
Tips to Make Tidying Up Easier
If you keep your living room clean and tidy, then organising your living room will be easy. Here are a few tips for tidying up your living room:
- Each night, get rid of the clutter that’s amounted during the day. Throw out any rubbish and put everything back in its place.
- If you buy something new for the living room, find it a place straight away, rather than leaving it out and about, and in the way.
- Vacuum regularly to keep the living room feeling fresh.
Cleaning and tidying up your living room is a simple task that will be well worth the effort! Once you’re done, sit back and enjoy your harmonious, tidy living room!