Skip to content
In the Home

Mould and mildew removers: How to use them in your bathroom and kitchen

Mould & Mildew are common at home but are certainly not welcome! Find out the most effective strategies and products for the removal of mould and mildew here.

No one likes getting mould or mildew in their house – not only is it unsightly and smelly, but it can also pose serious health problems for people with mould allergies, lung disease, or immune disorders.

The kitchen and bathroom are two of the most common places for mould and mildew at home, as these are the areas where moisture and warm air are most likely to be produced – from activities like boiling your kettle, for example, or having a shower.

Using commercial mildew and mould cleaning products is often the simplest option, as these sprays require no prior preparation and generally contain bleach as an active ingredient, effectively fighting and eliminating the spores that cause mould. A store-bought spray is, therefore, a great option for particularly severe areas of mould, or for those rushed for time. After you’ve successfully managed to deal with the problem with your specialized mould remover or mildew remover, it’s a good idea to rinse the area thoroughly, dry, and follow up with a general disinfecting cleaning product to remove any final traces of mould or spray – Domex Zero Stain range is particularly good for bathrooms.

When using mould and mildew remover sprays, or any other powerful cleaning product, always remember there are a few safety precautions you should bear in mind:

  • Always follow the instructions on the label, and use the product as directed.
  • Wear rubber gloves and old clothes when using a bleach product, as it may stain your clothes or irritate your skin.
  • If you do get any cleaning product on your skin, then immediately rinse with water and seek medical advice if necessary.
  • Keep children out of the affected room until the cleaning job is done.
  • Make sure the area that you are cleaning is well ventilated.
  • Test all the products on a small inconspicuous area first to ensure there will be no staining or other adverse effects.

Now that you’re safely protected, you should follow these easy steps to remove mildew and mould:

Step 1:

Place a cloth or towel on the floor below the area that you plan to clean to ensure that the spray doesn’t run down onto your floor.

Step 2:

Spray the areas where mould and mildew are present and wait a couple of minutes for the product to take effect.

Step 3:

Once you see the product starting to disappear, take a cloth, soak it in a bowl of hot water, wring it out and then wipe away the spray. Making sure you don’t have too much water on the cloth, as this can make the paint or wallpaper on your walls bubble.

Step 4:

Alternatively, you might like to use a damp paper towel to wipe away the spray. This is a practical solution as the paper towel can then be thrown away, rather than needing to be rinsed like a cloth.

After repeating these steps a couple of times the mould and mildew should be gone, and then you just need to leave the room to dry, ensuring it’s well ventilated, so moisture can continue to escape.

Using Other Mould & Mildew Removers

An inexpensive and natural alternative to commercial mould and mildew removers is vinegar (preferably white or cleaning vinegar to avoid potential stains), which can be diluted with water. This solution will remove mould and mildew with ease. For areas particularly badly affected with mould, vinegar can even be used undiluted.

Buy an empty spray bottle to fill with the vinegar solution and spray it on as you would in a commercial cleaner. Proceed in exactly the same way as described above. Never mix vinegar and bleach together as doing so produces a potentially fatal gas.

Preventative Measures to Fight Bathroom Mould and Mildew

To minimize the risk of the mould or mildew reoccurring in your kitchen and bathroom, ensure that you:

  • Keep these rooms well ventilated, opening doors and windows often.
  • Clean surfaces regularly to prevent mould from growing.
  • Make sure that you hang wet towels after use to ensure that the moisture escapes as quickly as possible.         

Key Steps:

  1. Make sure the room is well ventilated.
  2. Follow the safety precautions for your chosen mould and mildew remover.
  3. Take preventative measures to stop mould from reoccurring.

Top Tip


The tiny spores given off by mould and mildew can be harmful – when attempting to remove either, be sure to cover your mouth with something like a paper dust mask to avoid breathing the spores in.