When your kitchen is sparkling, it’s a joy to cook in. Making sure the kitchen is always spotless can be a breeze, despite grease and dirt caused by daily use. With all the cleaning tips you need for a shining kitchen, this step-by-step guide to keeping your kitchen clean will help you to know how to clean the kitchen without any headaches.
1. Prepare to Clean your kitchen
If you’re dedicating time to an intensive kitchen clean, it’s a good idea to have all necessary products to hand, and declutter surfaces and cabinets before starting to allow access for easy cleaning even in those hard-to-reach areas.
- Use up food products that are running low in the lead-up to your kitchen clean.
- Declutter by using stackable food containers to store items that otherwise take up space with excessive packaging, remembering to retain cooking instructions.
- Recycle empty packaging where possible.
2. Tips for Cleaning Kitchen Surfaces and Cabinets
- Remove any dust or loose dirt by brushing down surfaces first.
- Spray surfaces, especially dirt and grease spots, with a kitchen cleaning product (we like Cif). Follow the directions on the label, and remove as directed.
- Wash down surfaces as well as the inside and front of cabinets with a cloth and warm soapy water.
- Apply pressure right into corners to remove trapped dirt. An old, clean toothbrush can be handy to scrub hard-to-reach spots such as around the taps.
- Using a clean cloth to dry your surfaces after wiping will avoid any watermarks that could detract from your kitchen’s sparkle.
3. How to Clean Kitchen Appliances
Kitchen appliances need an occasional intensive clean and benefit from a commercial product being left to work on tough dirt for an extended period of time. It’s therefore often easier to apply cleaning products to all of your kitchen appliances one after the other, before returning to the first appliance to scrub it, and leaving again while you work your way through scrubbing the other appliances in a cycle, until all appliances are spotless and you can give them a final wash down.
- How to clean the oven: Commercial oven cleaning products are the most effective, as they have been designed to tackle tough stains and burnt-on grease. Follow the directions on the label and take all necessary safety precautions first (wear old clothes, gloves, and eye protection – this can be a messy job!). Also remember to ventilate the room before beginning. Cleaning the oven can take a while, so make sure that you leave enough time to complete the task.
- How to clean the fridge: Remove any shelves and leave to soak in warm, soapy water. You can use dishwashing liquid (we like Vim Liquid Lemon) to clean the shelves. Scrub the inside of the fridge with a cloth and disinfectant spray, soapy water, or both, again using an old, clean toothbrush for hard-to-reach spots.