How to Clean Water Bottles
Possibly the easiest method for cleaning a water bottle is to simply stick it in the dishwasher. However, cleaning water bottles by hand on a daily basis with dishwashing soap and hot water is just as easy and effective – if not more thorough! Follow these simple steps to make sure you have clean and hygienic water bottles:
1. How to clean water bottles:
- Fill the bottle with very hot water.
- Seal, shake, and discard around half the water.
- Add a pea-sized amount of Vim, seal, and and shake again to create a lather.
- Squeeze or pour as much liquid as possible out through the nozzle or opening on the cap (if there is one) – this will help to clean the cap too.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Leave to dry on draining rack.
- Rinse again before putting away or reusing.
2. Deep Clean Version: How to clean water bottles
- Dilute 1 teaspoon bleach and 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 4 litres of water.
- Fill bottle with the solution and leave overnight.
- Squeeze or pour solution out through nozzle or opening.
- Rinse very thoroughly, ensuring that all the cleaning solution is removed.
- Leave to dry on drying rack as before.
- Rinse again before reusing.
Remember: Follow the safety guidelines on the label when using bleach and be sure it has thoroughly been rinsed out of any bottle before drinking from them again.
How to Clean Plastic Bottles
To a certain extent, the techniques needed to clean plastic bottles depend on what they’ve been filled with previously. Oil, syrup and milk all leave slightly different residues behind.
Again, simply putting plastic bottles or glass jars through the dishwasher is a cheap and low-effort method of sanitising them, but if this is not readily available to you, there are other ways of cleaning plastic bottles inside and out that are equally effective.
- Wash with hot water and Vim dishwasher soap as with water bottles.
- Use a weak bleach solution, as with water bottles, but without the baking soda.
- Use specifically designed sanitising tablets. Drop one into a bottle full of warm water and leave for 15-30 minutes, then rinse and enjoy. Read and follow the product instructions to get the best results.
- Use a specially designed no-rinse sanitising solution in a bottle already cleaned with another method. Once again, read and follow the product instructions.
Cleaning plastic bottles and water bottles is a safe and environmentally friendly way of collecting re-sealable containers for future use. Just be sure to store them safely, and label them clearly!