Whether you want to casually freshen up your sports shoes or want to thoroughly clean them up after a long time, it’s important to do some prep work to avoid any damages.
Here are a few steps you need to follow in order to prepare your sports shoes for a machine wash.
Remove the laces and thoroughly brush away the loose dirt or grime on the sole and the other parts of your sports shoes. You can do this with your hands or by using a scrubbing brush (e.g. an old paintbrush or an old toothbrush).
Mix a solution of 1-tsp. laundry detergent and 1-cup water. Dip the same brush (the one used to perform the above step) into this solution and clean the fabric, mesh and rubber areas by gently brushing in the solution. Then, take a clean damp cloth or a clean damp sponge and wipe off the suds, if any.
Place the sports shoes in a mesh bag and wash on a cold setting in your washing machine.
When it comes to washing sports shoes in a washing machine, they’ll come out as better as the detergent you use, and something like Surf Excel is great.
The next time you plan to wash your sports shoes in a washing machine, follow the above steps to get them clean effortlessly!
Nothing beats a sparkly pair of white sports shoes. Just make sure you use a good detergent like Surf Excel and always follow the instructions on the label.
- Always remove the laces first
- Washing sports shoes in a washing machine will help to bring back the whiteness and also works best on tough stains
- Wash sports shoes in a washing machine only on a cold setting
- Stuff your sneakers with paper or rags to help them maintain their shape as they dry
- Hang the laces up to dry
- Dry in a well-ventilated area and then re-lace