If you’re wondering how to use bleaching powder for clothes with coloured fabrics, look for a bleach product with “colour safe” on the packaging and take extra caution when using it.
How to bleach white clothes
Bleaching white clothes in the washing machine is easy if you follow these steps:
- Check your clothes label to see if the garment is safe for use with bleach.
- Put your clothes in the washing machine and add your normal detergent.
- Add your chosen bleach product according to the instructions on the packaging. Bleaching powders can normally be added to the detergent drawer at the start of the wash while liquid bleach should be added a little later when the drum has filled with water.
- Run your washing machine on a normal wash cycle. You may want to add an extra rinse.
- Once finished, allow your clothes to air dry naturally.
Of course, bleaching clothes isn’t just something you’ll do as part of a whites wash. It can also be used as a pre-treatment to help remove stains and restore transform dingy officewear into gleaming, bleached shirts. Here’s how to use bleaching powder in this way:
- Make a paste of water and bleach powder according to the instructions on the packaging
- Rub the mixture into any stains on your clothes with a soft toothbrush while wearing gloves
- Leave the mixture to sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing clean
- Wash the item immediately
Alternatively, if you want to bleach certain items of clothing rather than your whole laundry basket then you can soak clothes in a tub of water and a little bleach powder or liquid bleach overnight. Again, just wash as normal afterwards.
Now you know how easy it is to learn how to use bleaching powder for clothes and how to bleach white clothes until they’re sparkling, you’ll never have to worry about watching your white clothes turn grey or not having perfectly bleached shirts ever again!