How to Remove Grease Stain from Clothes
Compared with the process for removing other substances, this method for removing grease stains is relatively simple:
- Lay out the garment and cover the entire stained area with dishwashing detergent.
- Using your fingers, gently work the detergent into the fabric. You will see the stain begin to dissolve almost immediately, as most dish detergents are able to absorb grease directly.
- Rinse the detergent off using neat white vinegar.
- Rinse the whole garment in water, and wash normally.
- Particularly resistant stains can be removed by repeating applications of dishwashing detergent and vinegar. As counter-intuitive as it seems, this simple process will, with between one to five repetitions, eliminate all greasy and oily stains.
As always, remember to check the washing instructions for each item of clothing to ensure that they are not too fragile to withstand the kneading required to complete this process. When dealing with vinegar, try not to let it get too close to your eyes, and remember to test your dishwashing detergent on a hidden area of the fabric – like a cuff or hem – to make sure that it will not discolour or stain your clothes.
So there you have it, with a bit of persistence it’s simple to remove grease stains from clothes – and you don’t even need to buy specialist stain removal products!