Here’s how to get makeup stains out of clothes with our key steps:
- Act fast.
- Get as much excess makeup off with a plastic spoon or brush.
- Test your cleaning solution on a small area.
- Be gentle when working at the stain.
- Repeat if necessary before machine washing, following the care label instructions.
Spilling makeup on your favourite white clothes can be a nightmare. However, once you know how to remove makeup stains from clothes you can act quickly to make them disappear. We’ll show you how to get makeup out of clothes, so the next time there’s an accident, you’ll know what to do quickly.
How to get makeup stains off clothes
Whatever method you use to get rid of makeup on clothes, there are a number of steps you should follow:
- Take a plastic spoon or soft brush to remove excess.
- Use a tissue to blot fresh stains.
- Pick your chosen cleaning method to remove makeup stains from clothes, and test on a small area of the clothing first.
- Be gentle when it comes to applying, scrubbing and wiping at the stain.
- Read the care label, and machine wash as per the instructions.
- Drying in the sun is the best way (if your clothes can take it) – a tumble dryer can actually set the stain in.
How to remove liquid makeup from clothes
When it comes to getting makeup off clothes, removing liquid makeup can be tricky. However, as long as you get to it quickly, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Here are two methods:
- For oil-free liquid makeup: cover the stain with shaving foam and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Rub in, adding a little alcohol solution for stubborn stains, rinse thoroughly, and repeat if necessary, before machine washing (following care label instructions).
- For oil-based liquid makeup: dampen the stain with cool water, pour a little detergent over and let it sit for two minutes. Work the detergent into the stain to break down the oils – you can use a soft brush or your fingers. Blot and then rinse thoroughly, before repeating and machine washing (check the care label instructions first).
Use a powerful detergent like Surf for great results cleaning makeup stains on clothes. It smells lovely too!
How to remove other makeup stains on clothes
- Hairspray and ice cubes for lipstick: spraying hairspray or holding an ice cube on a lipstick stain can work really well. Both methods help break down the lipstick and make it easier to clean off.
- Detergent for powder foundation and blusher: powder-based makeup stains on clothes should respond well to liquid detergent.
Once you’ve learned how to get makeup off clothes there’s no need to panic if you accidentally spill some on your white clothing. As long as you stick to a plan and work quickly, you can remove makeup stains from clothes with ease.