Turmeric is guaranteed to spice up most dishes, making it a great ingredient to cook and experiment with. But unfortunately, it stains just as well as it tastes, leaving behind particularly stubborn bright yellow stains. Many people don’t know much about turmeric stain removal, and struggle when it comes to how to get turmeric stains out of clothes. So, how do you remove turmeric stains? Follow these tips and tricks for clean, stainless clothes.
Take Action to Get Rid of Turmeric Stains
Like other stains such as blood or ink, when it comes to removing turmeric: speedy action is essential. Don’t hesitate when you get some on your t-shirt or dress, take action instantly. Don’t leave the stain to dry, as this will only make matters worse.
How to Get Rid of a Turmeric Stain
Before you attempt to remove a turmeric stain, be sure to check the garment’s care label for washing guidelines, as some items may be dry clean only. And remember to test any stain removal product on a small, inconspicuous area of the item first.
- Curcumin is the component that gives turmeric its intense colour. The bad news is that it’s not water soluble, so simply soaking your garment in water won’t give you the desired result. Avoid using hot water, as this could set the stain into the material, making it difficult to remove.
- Apply liquid Surf excel detergent and gently dab the stain. If the stain is persistent, leave it to soak for 20 minutes and rinse the affected area afterwards.
- If this doesn’t get rid of the stain, try white vinegar. Soak a paper towel in vinegar and carefully blot at the stain to remove it.
- You can also opt to use a specifically designed stain remover suitable for the type of fabric the stain is on such as the Surf excel Bar.
- After pre-treating the stain, wash as usual with Surf excel Liquid Detergent. Remember to follow the instructions on the product’s label and to check the garment’s care label for the recommended temperature to wash at.
Sunlight for Turmeric Stain Removal
Exposing the stained area to sunlight can help with turmeric stain removal. After following the steps for stain removal, place the fabric in direct sunlight and wait for a few hours. While this might not get rid of the stain completely, it will oxidise the stain, at which point you can start another attempt at getting rid of the stubborn stain – hopefully, one final attempt!
How do you Get Turmeric Stains out of Delicate Fabrics?
If your fabric is dry-clean only or is very delicate, it is best to take it to the dry cleaners rather than removing the turmeric stain at home.