There are a few rules to follow when it comes to washing your underwear. Washing machine manuals will only get you so far – you need some specialist tips to learn how to wash your underwear correctly. Otherwise your delicates’ colour, durability, and elasticity will suffer. It’s all down to paying attention to care labels and using the right products. If you’ve been wondering how to wash underwear in washing machine cycles, you’ll soon be an expert.
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
How do you wash underwear in a machine?
Whether you want to learn how to wash bras or how to wash white underwear in a washing machine, there are some basic rules to follow regardless of the specific garment.
- Read the care label – Always perform this step first. It will show you how to wash underwear: in washing machine or by hand. If machine use is acceptable, the instructions on the label will state what temperature and cycle to use.
- Pre-treat stains – Act fast by applying a stain remover or liquid detergent to stains immediately. As with any new product, test on a small area if this is your first time using it.
- Select the right detergent – Undergarments need appropriate detergents, such as Active Wheel, to stay looking like new. Be sure to follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Select appropriate settings – Washing machines have lots of options, which is very helpful, if not a little confusing! The garments’ care instructions will guide you to select the correct temperature, cycle length and setting.
- Act quickly – Once the cycle is complete, remove the items straightaway. This helps to prevent any odours or mildew developing.
Specific underwear: washing machine tips
Now that you’ve learned the basics of how to wash your underwear in a washing machine, let’s move onto some top tips for specific undergarments, including bras and whites.
- How to wash bras: Sometimes you can machine wash bras, but sometimes they need to be hand washed – the care label will guide you. When it comes to washing bras in washing machine cycles it’s a good idea to place them in a mesh bag for protection. Always remember to hook the bra closed so it doesn’t snag other delicates. Don’t tumble dry bras – reshape them whilst wet instead and hang them up to dry.
- How to wash white underwear: The key to washing white underwear is to only have white clothes in the rest of the wash too. Washing white clothes with colours or dark items is the quickest way to dull or even change the colour of your smalls.
Getting your undergarments clean is as simple as that. Now you know the basic steps, how to wash bras and how to wash white underwear to keep it looking like new, you can use your washing machine to clean your smalls with confidence.