That pile of old clothes that you no longer wear needn’t gather dust in the corner.
These DIY old cloth crafting ideas will help you transform them into something amazing. Not only will you reduce your waste, but you’ll also get a new outfit or an accessory. Take a look at these clever methods.
1) DIY Shirt Ideas
Got an old shirt lying around? Turn that button down into something new with these DIY shirt ideas:
- Decorative collar: repurpose the collar of a shirt by cutting it off, hemming the bottom and using a broach to re-attach it at the front
- Dress: it can be as easy as adding a belt to cinch in the waist, or as complex as cutting off sleeves and collars and, adding and gathering to change the shape
- Cushion cover: the buttons make it easy to remove the cushion pad when you need to wash the cover
- Purse: cut out button-down pockets for a ready-made purse, or fold over the buttons on the cuff and sleeve
- Tote bag: this is as simple as hemming the edges and using strips from the sleeves as handles. Add a lining in a heavy-weight material like a canvas to make it more durable
2) Quilt clothing craft
If you’ve got a stash of clothes with rips or stains that make them unwearable, the easiest way to re-purpose them is to make a quilt. You only need to use small patches.
DIY old clothing crafts like these are a great way of using up damaged garments. This is also a perfect way to create a keepsake memento of precious baby clothes.
For those who are into DIY, old clothes are a wonderful way to reduce wastage and make something useful or beautiful. As we’ve proven, you don’t need a sewing machine or expert skills to get involved with clothing craft.
Gather up your old clothes, give them a wash and get creating.
- Clean your old clothes before repurposing them
- If you only use one type of clothing, use a shirt, as there are a lot of DIY shirt ideas
- A quilt is one of the best clothing craft ideas for using up stained or ripped clothing