If you have noticed that water isn't fully flowing from your shower head, then it's probably because it is clogged. No need to buy a new one just yet, first try to unclog your shower head. Simply follow our top tips for how to unclog a shower head and enjoy a relaxing and fully functioning shower in no time!
What topics would you like to read about?
Easy guide to remove scale from a shower head
The best way to clean shower head is to use white vinegar:
- Remove the shower head.
- You will now need white vinegar and a re-sealable plastic bag. Fill the bag with vinegar and place your shower head inside.
- Ensure the affected area is fully submerged in the vinegar.
- Tie the bag to your shower head using an elastic band.
- Leave the shower head to soak for 2-3 hours.
- Carefully remove the elastic band and take the shower head out of the vinegar.
- Using a clean, soft sponge remove any lingering limescale.
- Next, clean your shower head with baking soda. Make a paste with baking soda and water. This will not only remove any last bits of limescale but will also neutralise any lingering vinegar odors.
- Still have a slight smell of vinegar? Run the shower for 3-4 minutes to remove the odor and then continue to use your shower as normal.
While you’re at it you can also use vinegar to unclog your shower drain too! Just follow our tips for cleaning shower drains here.
How to clean a shower head with stubborn limescale build-up
Sometimes, though, the limescale build-up can be stubborn. In cases such as this, using a special product to clean a clogged shower head might be your safest bet. Check out below what you need to know:
- Don’t have the time to wait for hours for the vinegar to work? Try using a specialist cleaning product such as Cif.
- Always check the label.
- Only use commercial products according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test on a small area first to check for any unwanted reactions.
- Keep the area well ventilated.
- Wear rubber gloves to protect your skin.
- Always rinse the shower head thoroughly before using the shower as normal.
With this simple guide you now can unclog your shower head and save your wallet from spending money on a new one!