- Daily clean your sink, mirrors, toilet and floor.
- Weekly change towels, treat soap scum and other build-ups and do a deeper clean of surfaces, fixtures and drains.
- Monthly treatments include grout, mold and mildew removal and disinfecting attachments like shower heads and faucets.
Are you looking to get to grips with your household chores? Get your bathroom cleaning routine under control with our ultimate guide to bathroom care. Here you’ll find step-by-step instructions on cleaning all the major areas of the bathroom as well as how often you should be cleaning it.
How to clean a bathroom: your ultimate checklist
Whether you’re wondering how to remove stains from bathroom tiles, or simply what cleaning needs to happen and when, this ultimate checklist has you covered. For more basic cleaning advice, check out our article full of easy bathroom cleaning tips.
With this simple guide, you now have the ultimate checklist to keep on top of daily, weekly and monthly cleaning in your bathroom.
- Firstly, there are a couple of steps you should be taking after each sink or shower use:
- Use a squeegee to wipe down your shower walls and door, or the bathtub if you don’t have a walk-in shower.
- Wipe dry your sink, faucet, and countertops.
- Next is the checklist for your daily bathroom cleaning routine. This should include:
- Wiping down counters and sinks. For more advice on how to clean sinks and how to clean a stainless steel sink read our article how to clean a stainless steel sink.
- Checking over any bathroom mirrors. If they need a clean, use tips from our article on how to clean a mirror.
- Cleaning your toilet. Wipe down the handle and seat, and always check for drips. You can disinfect your toilet as needed. For full advice on how to clean a toilet bowl, check out our article on how to clean a toilet. For the best results use good quality products like Domex.
- Sweeping the floor.
- Checking if your toilet roll needs replacing.
- Your third checklist is your weekly cleaning routine. This includes:
- Emptying the bathroom bin.
- Mopping the floor.
- Performing a full clean of the sink, bath, countertops, windowsills and any other surfaces where dust, dirt and grime are likely to build up.
- Treating any build-ups and deposits. Check out more details in our article how to remove soap scum.
- Cleaning your shower doors or curtains.
- Checking the drains. Hair and other build-ups could cause clogs. For the best results add one cup of baking soda to your drain, followed by one cup of white vinegar and finally after 15 or so minutes around a liter of boiling water.
- Changing over the towels for clean ones.
- The final checklist you need to keep handy is bathroom cleaning you need to complete monthly. Monthly jobs include:
- Cleaning and disinfecting any attachments. This includes remembering how to clean a shower head and faucet. Our top tip is to soak the shower head in a mix of equal parts white vinegar and water to have it clean and working well.
- Dusting corners and checking for cobwebs.
- Checking the ceiling, bathtub and shower for water spots, mold or mildew. Treat this with appropriate measures.
- Don't forget about how to clean bathroom tiles. The easiest option is to spray a good quality bathroom cleaner on tiles and follow the instructions. You may be able to wipe it and rinse straight away, but for stained tiles you may need to leave it to work for a while. Use our guide for how to clean bathroom grout. This will prevent mold and mildew build-up.
- Dusting and cleaning light fixtures.