Most of us are always looking for ways on how to treat a cold fast, as feeling unwell can prevent us from enjoying our life to the fullest. Finding out how to get rid of a cold, and the best ways to protect yourself from cold-causing germs in the future, are just some of the pointers you will find in this article.
Top tips for how to stop a cold
There are five top tips for how to treat a cold fast:
- Stay hydrated. Increasing your intake of vitamin C and fluids will help your immune system fight a cold.
- Get some rest. Rest will allow your body’s natural defences to do their work. Battling through your symptoms could prolong your illness.
- Soothe your throat. Add a teaspoon of honey to your tea, suck boiled sweets or gargle salt water.
- Work out. Most viruses can only survive at around 37 °. Working out will raise your body temperature and help to sweat out your cold.
- Get a chest massage. Warm oils, such as sesame oil, are a great way to relieve congestion when massaged into your chest and upper back.
Top tips for how to stop a cold from spreading
There are five key ways of preventing the spread of cold causing germs once you know how to treat a cold:
- Keep your vaccinations up to date.
- Wash your hands, especially before and after visiting someone who is unwell.
- Use the crook of your elbow or a tissue to cough or sneeze into, instead of your hand.
- Stay home if you are unwell to prevent other people from catching the germs you’re carrying; especially if your usual route includes the use of public transport.
- Keep surfaces such as door handles, kitchen worktops and bathroom surfaces which are regularly touched clean using disinfectants like Cif or bleach-based products like Domex.