Pets are such fun to have around, but keeping a furry friend means you also need to take extra care to maintain the cleanliness of your home. Eliminating pet odor, so friends and family feel comfortable visiting your home, comes high on the home maintenance list. We’ve put together this guide to removing pet odors so you can be sure to get the job done quickly and with the minimum amount of fuss.
Identify the Main Sources of Pet Smell in Your Home
If you want to learn how to get rid of pet smells, you need to consider where they come from in the first place, and know exactly where to clean to keep your home smelling fresh.
Pet odors can come from:
- Indoor litter trays
- Dirty cages or tanks
- Soft furnishings and bedding where pets have a spent a long time sitting or lying down
- Hair shedding and malting
- Sweating and scent marking
- Pet health issues
To remove pet odors from your home you need to:
- Empty litter trays, cages, and tanks regularly. Disinfect where possible to keep smelly germs at bay.
- Clean soft furnishings and bedding regularly (see below).
- Frequently vacuum soft furnishings, carpets and floors to pick up hair.
- Wash tiled, wooden, or lino floors with a disinfectant to remove sweat and scent marking secretions.
- Take your pet for regular check-ups at the vet to catch any underlying health issues.