We all love our pets, but we don’t always love the smells they leave behind, right?
Pets are such fun to have around, but keeping a furry friend means you also need to take extra care to maintain the cleanliness of your home. Eliminating pet odor comes high on the home maintenance list! Find out how to get rid of smelly dog odor, cat smell and how to banish all pet odors from your home with the minimum amount of fuss in this handy guide!
Pet smell in your home: where is it coming from?
If you want to learn how to remove dog urine smell, and how to get rid of other unsavoury pet smells, you need to consider where they come from in the first place to know exactly where to clean.
It’s can be detective work, but here are some clues to where start investigating. Pet odors can come from:
- Indoor litter trays
- Dirty cages or tanks
- Soft furnishings where pets have a spent a long time sitting or lying down
- Hair shedding and malting
- Sweating and scent marking
- Pet health issues
Remove pet smell from your house by:
Found the source? Now is time for some action:
- Emptying litter trays, cages, and tanks regularly.
- Disinfecting where possible to keep smelly germs at bay.
- Cleaning soft furnishings and bedding regularly (see below).
- Frequently vacuuming soft furnishings, carpets and floors to pick up hair.
- Washing tiled, wooden, or lino floors with a disinfectant to remove sweat and scent marking secretions.
- Taking your pet for regular check-ups at the vet to catch any underlying health issues.
How to eliminate pet odors from soft furnishings
It’s tricky to know how to remove dog smell and other pet smells out of soft furnishings, since cats and dogs love to spend lots of time sitting or lying down on comfy chairs and sofas. But if you use the straightforward method below at least once a week, you’ll soon have it under control:
- Give the chair or sofa a thorough vacuum. Get rid of any hair and debris that have adhered to the surface of the fabric.
- Sprinkle your pet’s favourite area with baking soda. Leave it to absorb any unsavoury smells overnight.
- Vacuum up the baking soda the next day. Examine the area for any obvious stains that could be causing the smell.
- Spot treat marks with a moist clean cloth and liquid detergent. Blot instead of rubbing the stain to lift all the dirt off.
- Remove any residual smells with a commercial deodorizer. They are usually designed for soft furnishings.
How to Remove Cat Urine Smell from bedding & clothes
The simplest way to get bedding and clothes smelling nice and fresh is to put them in the washing machine with a high quality detergent like Breeze. Wherever possible:
- Wash duvets, pillow covers, and blankets in your washing machine according to the care label and the instructions on the side of the detergent bottle.
- Vinegar can help neutralize the bad odor. If the smell persists, wash the affected clothes with a solution of vinegar mixed with water.
- If possible, take any large items like rugs to your local dry-cleaning professional. Especially if your furry friend had an accident and you need to remove dog pee smell.