How to Wash Floors
When you’re cleaning the house, chances are the dirtiest part is the floor. They’re walked on every day, after all. And it doesn’t take long for them to collect dust, dirt, and all kinds of dropped food scraps. However, different floor types require different cleaning methods. Read on for tips on the best way to clean floors, whether they’re ceramic, wood or laminate.
When mopping tile floors, always clean and dry your mop head between uses. A damp and dirty mop is a breeding ground for bacteria and mold, and is also likely to leave a stale smell wherever you use it.
How to Clean Ceramic Floors
● Mopping tile floors is the best way to get it clean and sparkling, but you’ll need to start by taking off as much dust and debris as you can. Sweep or vacuum the entire area you wish to clean, making sure to pay attention to the edges and corners where dust can gather.
● After vacuuming, prepare a mop bucket with warm water and a specialist floor cleaning liquid like Domex Anti-Bacterial Floor Cleaner. Always follow the instructions on the label to get the best results.
● Dip your mop into the soapy solution, then thoroughly wring out any excess water. A very wet mop will mean the floor will take too long to dry, which could leave streaks or damage surrounding wooden furniture such as kitchen units.
● Work from one side of the room to the other, mopping towards the dry side. When you mop tile floors, regularly clean and wring out the brush to avoid spreading dirty water onto your tiles.
What topics would you like to read about?
How to Clean Wood Floors
Real wood floors can be pricey to install, but with a bit of care and attention, they’ll look great for decades. However, some regular washing techniques run the risk of damaging the wood. Here are some useful tips on how to clean a wooden floor and laminate surfaces.
● Sweep with a soft bristled brush to remove dust. Alternatively, vacuum the floor and use a soft brush extension in order to not to damage the wood.
Do not use a wet mop to clean like you would for a ceramic surface. The water can cause the wood or laminate to swell and become damaged. The best way to clean a floor made of natural wood is to use a lightly damp mop or cloth.
Always use a cleaning solution specially developed for cleaning a wooden or laminated surface. Also keep in mind to avoid products that contain bleach, ammonia, or abrasive agents, as these can damage the wood. Remember to follow the instructions on the cleaning products that you are using.
Remove dirt and dust before you start cleaning your floors. A soft bristle brush or vacuums with a brush attachment are most effective.
When mopping tiles, don’t use too much water – this will take too long to dry and will leave you with streaks.
For wooden floors, use a damp mop rather than wet so as not to damage the wood or laminate.
Do you want to learn which household cleaning tasks cause the most stress? Then read our Heated Household data analysis.