Plants not only bring life and nature into your home but they also improve your health by purifying the air you breathe. In fact, according to NASA clean air study, there are at least 18 air-purifying and air-filtering plants.
Air-purifying plants: how does it work?
Indoor plants that clean the air and remove toxins are known as purifying or filtering plans. They work by absorbing toxic gasses through their leaves and roots. Microorganisms in the soil also help neutralize pollutants such as VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
How many plants that clean the air are needed in a room?
NASA suggests that at least 2 plants are required for every 100 square feet. However, the bigger the plant’s leaves, the quicker it can purify the air.
For the most efficient air-purifying indoor plants, try fern and ivy which have great surface area coverage.
If you have pets, make sure that any plants you put in your home are pet-friendly and non-toxic.
What toxins do air-purifying plants diffuse?
There are 3 main toxins which NASA’s study has evaluated. These are:
- Formaldehyde: may cause watery eyes, nose irritation, coughing, nausea.
- Benzene: headaches, drowsiness, vomiting.
- Trichloroethylene: headache, dizziness, nausea.
What are the best indoor plants for clean air?
Our favorite indoor plants that clean air by diffusing at least one of the toxins mentioned above are:
- Fern: efficient due to its surface coverage
- Peace lily
- Bamboo palm
- Chinese evergreen: effective against formaldehyde and benzene
- Aloe vera
- Spider plant: purifies carbon monoxide and is non-toxic to pets
- Snake plant: filters all 3 toxins above and is a great indoor plant for oxygen - releasing it overnight
- English ivy: also combats mould
- Weeping fig: good against toluene, xylene and formaldehyde
With this list of the best indoor plants for air purification, you can be certain that you will be breathing easy at home. Clean air is just as important as personal hygiene and if you live in the city, then it is more than recommended that you grab yourself at least one of the above.