Home organization can make day-to-day activities and tasks more efficient, more convenient, and more enjoyable. With these tips for organizing your home, this responsibility doesn’t have to be strenuous or time-consuming! It’s simply a case of tackling a little at a time to create a fresh, clean, and relaxed living environment.
What topics would you like to read about?
How to Get Organized
If you’ve been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately, you’re certainly not alone. Sometimes, life can get away from us as we try to create a healthy balance between work, household chores, family time, and social activities. Every so often, you may just need to take some time out to get back on track, and organizing your home is a great way to regain control.
Organizing the home is really a combination of tidying, decluttering, cleaning, and freshening up all areas. Regardless of whether you have a large or small home, the prospect can seem downright terrifying, but we’ve got some home organizing tips to help you not only make a start, but also maintain it for the long term.
Organization Tips: Room By Room
The absolute best way to tackle home organization is to look at each room separately, rather than looking at the entire home in one go. Breaking home organization up into smaller tasks not only keeps things simple, but it also boosts motivation as results are seen quicker than if many rooms are tackled at once.
- Go through your refrigerator and food cabinet. Throw out anything that is beyond its best-before date, and donate anything you won’t be using to a local food bank.
- Recycle any cardboard or other packaging that has been lying around. It’s so easy to leave empty packets or cartons around without realizing it!
- Make sure everything has a place. Frequently used items should be easily accessible, and those items that you rarely use can be packed neatly away in the kitchen cabinet.
- If something doesn’t have a place, give it a place! Consider installing shelves or other storage solutions.
- Use plastic containers to store food rather than keeping leftovers in open packets. Not only will these keep food fresher, it will also reduce the risk of spills.
- If you’ve got a number of small appliances that you don’t use very often, move them to the storage room or an empty cabinet, or give them away if you really don’t need them.
- Clean out the medicine cabinet, throwing out any medicines that are beyond their expiration dates, as these could be ineffective or even dangerous to use.
- Implement systems and storage solutions in the bathroom for toiletries, cosmetics, and towels. Don’t leave things lying around.
- Declutter the floor and any surfaces so that they’re clear, moving anything that doesn’t belong in the living room to its correct area in the home.
- Consider media storage for safely and securely keeping DVDs and CDs. Tall media shelving accommodates many items while taking up limited space.
- Add visually appealing storage solutions that you don’t mind having on display, such as floating shelves and decorative baskets.
- Vacuum all over, including the curtains, and then open the windows to air the room out. This will make the room feel fresh, and instantly more appealing.
- Storage, storage, and more storage! Plastic boxes, wooden toy boxes, wall-hanging pockets – use whatever you can get your hands on to help keep your child’s room clean and tidy!
- Keep similar items together – for example, group all toy cars in one place, or put all the dolls together. This makes them easy to find, but also gives them a place they belong.
- Encourage kids to use drawers and cabinets for clothes, rather than the floor.
- If the amount of toys is simply too much for the room, operate a rotation system, keeping half of the toys in a storage container in a closet or your home’s storage area for a month, then swapping them out for the ‘current’ toys. Kids love it – it’s like getting a whole new toy box!
With this guide, you’ll never be at a loss to know how to organize your home again – keep these organizing home ideas handy for when the house starts to look a little messy again!