Spiders are not as bad as we think: they actually eat other unwanted bugs and help to keep balance in nature. The problem we have with them is that, just like us, they go into hiding during the colder, rainy season and that means they tend to make themselves comfortable in our homes. Noone wants that.So, brush back those cobwebs and follow our tips and tricks to get rid of spiders for good. From natural remedies to preventative cleaning tips, we've got everything you need to rid yourself of Portia spiders and learn how to get rid of spiders at home safely and easily.
How to get rid of spiders: Home remedies
When it comes to learning how to get rid of spiders, home remedies are a great way to ensure that harmless and natural measures are taken. If you have a Portia spider or another eight-legged critter making regular appearances around the house, here are some natural options for how to keep spiders away:
- Diffuse peppermint oil: While it’s hard to imagine any creature disliking the aroma of peppermint, spiders are actually quite repelled by this scent. Use peppermint essential oil around your home, either in a spray bottle with water or in an essential oil diffuser. This is a great natural solution not only if you need to find ways for how to get rid of spider mites, but also for aromatizing your home.
- Get out the vinegar: Another natural remedy that helps keep spiders away is vinegar. Try mixing white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. You can then spray this mixture in corners and cracks where spiders are most likely to sneak out from.
- Clean your house: Another tip for figuring out how to get rid of spiders in the house is to maintain a clean home. Spiders are more likely to invade a messy house. So be sure to vacuum and sweep regularly. It’s useful to note that spiders dislike citrus flavors and scents, such as lemon. Get a lemon-scented room freshener to keep your home smelling fresh and the creepy crawlers outside where they belong.
- Check the perimeter: After you ensure a tidy interior, it’s time to scan the perimeter. If spiders are lurking around your home, it means there is a way of entry from somewhere outside. A key step for how to get rid of spiders is to try and find their point of entry from the outside and block it off. Be thorough about fixing any torn window screens or cracks in your home’s exterior.
- Turn off the lights: Our final tip is good for two things: first, for learning how to get rid of spiders naturally and, second, for living more sustainably. Lights attract bugs and flying critters that spiders love to eat. So be sure to turn your lights off when you don’t need them to prevent bugs from coming inside, which will, in turn, keep spiders from coming in too.