- Gently shake to remove excess water.
- Wipe down with a dry cloth.
- Place into rice or silica gel.
- Don’t rush the process, you need to be patient.
- Allow 24-48 hours for drying.
Have you dropped your phone in the pool or the sink? Don't worry, this can happen to the best of us. We’re here to tell you exactly what you need to know if you have a wet iPhone. Just follow our step-by-step guide and safety advice for how to fix a water damaged phone.
How to fix a phone dropped in water
Whether you dropped your phone in the sea, the bath or the sink, these steps will help you learn how to fix saltwater damaged phone easily.
Things you’ll need:
- Clean, dry, microfibre cloths
- Dry rice OR silica gel
Easy steps to fix a wet iPhone or other devices:
- Turn off your phone immediately.
- If possible, remove the battery. If you have it on charge, remove the charging wire.
- Turn the phone upside down.
- Give it a gentle shake to remove excess water.
- Wipe down the surface to remove any remaining moisture with a clean, dry, microfibre cloth.
- For an older phone, you may be able to disassemble the parts. Newer phones like the latest iPhones should not be disassembled as it could cause further damage and void the warranty.
- Place your phone into a bowl of rice or silica gel packs. Make sure it is fully submerged, this will draw out the moisture.
- Leave for 24-48 hours.
- Once fully dry, reassemble (if necessary), and turn on.
- If you are worried about your phone, call a professional for advice or consult a specialist.
- Light surface spills can be wiped away using a microfibre cloth and left to air dry.
How to fix a wet phone: Dos and don’ts
Here are some important dos and don’ts of dealing with iPhone water damage and other phones too.
- DO work swiftly. This is key to recovering your phone.
- DO turn off your phone immediately.
- DO be patient. It can take at least 24-48 hours to dry your phone out thoroughly.
- DO seek professional help if you’re unsure about doing it yourself.
- DON’T ever use a hairdryer to speed up the process.
- DON’T try to dismantle your phone without professional help.
- DON’T dismantle your phone if you know it will affect the warranty.
Follow the above tips for what to do if your phone falls in the water, and remember that patience is key. If you’re in need of advice on how to clean keyboard keys and other electronics, keep on reading Cleanipedia for the best tips.