How to clean earphones
If you don’t know where to start when it comes to knowing how to clean your earphones, don’t worry. Cleaning your earbuds has never been easier. We’ve compiled the best ways to clean your earphones safely without the need to dismantle them:
- Unplug your earphones from its connecting device.
- With a toothbrush, dry-brush any residue stuck on your earphone tip.
- Always have the earphone tips facing down.
- Don’t brush too hard, otherwise the earwax will be pushed further into your earphone.
If you want to know how to clean the earbuds’ outside surface, simply use a cloth and dampen it slightly using lukewarm water mixed with a little bit of soap. Squeeze-out any excess soapy water and with the cloth gently wipe the outside of the earbuds. With a dry cloth, dry your earbuds.
Another method for how to clean earbuds is to use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. Again, only partially dampen the cotton swab. Make sure to dry the earbuds properly with a cloth or towel afterwards. Cleaning your earbuds with isopropyl alcohol will also make sure that they’re germ-free and properly sanitized.
How to clean headphones
Take extra care if your headphones are made out of leather or foam earpads as these can be costly to replace. For how to clean your headphones follow our step-by-step cleaning headphone guide below:
- Remove your earpads and wipe the exterior of the headphones with a soft cloth dampened with soapy water. Set aside to dry.
- Dip a cloth in a small amount of soapy water and carefully wipe the earpads, giving crevices special attention.
- Clean the mesh surface using a soft cloth dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- Allow everything to dry completely before reassembling.
- Cleaning your headphone with a hearing aid vacuum will also help extract any built-in and difficult to remove wax from your headphone.
How to clean AirPods
With a dry cotton swab, you can clean the meshes of the speaker and the microphone. For stubborn debris, use a soft-bristled brush.
How to clean the charging case:
- Brush the debris from the Lightning connector with a dry and soft-bristled brush.
- Do not put anything in the charging points.
- Using a cloth slightly dampened with the isopropyl alcohol, gently wipe the dirt away.
Remember that AirPods are not water proof, so do not use soapy water. The alternative cleaning solution for an AirPods case is 70% isopropyl alcohol. Use a lint-free cloth that is soft and dry.
For further specified information on how to clean AirPods, consult Apple support.