A dishwasher is undoubtedly a great addition to every kitchen. Not only is it useful after a big meal or a party, but it also makes everyday washing up a lot easier. However, since your dishwasher does such a good job of cleaning your dishes, it is sometimes easy to forget that it might need a little cleaning itself…
If you’re wondering how to clean a dishwasher, these tips will help you keep your favourite kitchen gadget in great shape – so you won’t have to wash food-stained plates by hand anytime soon!
Cleaning a dishwasher in 4 simple steps
1. Get prepared for dishwasher cleaning
- Make sure the machine is empty.
- Put on a pair of rubber gloves to protect your hands.
- Remove all the utensil holders and racks within the dishwasher.
- Remove any graters, filters, or other parts that can be removed from within the dishwasher.
- Remove as much food residue stuck to the dishwasher parts as you can reach.
2. Clean the dishwasher doors
- Wipe the outside of the door with hot water to remove any fingerprints or dirt that may have accumulated.
- Move on to the inside of the door, using a small amount of liquid soap (we recommend Sunlight washing up liquid) and hot water to remove any built-up grease stains.
- Always follow any instructions on your product’s label and to rinse thoroughly when cleaning dishwasher doors.
3. Clean inside the dishwasher
- Mix one part vinegar with five parts water to create a great dishwasher cleaner.
- Soak a cloth in the solution and wipe the inside of the dishwasher.
- Place all the dishwasher parts in the sink or a bowl or bucket filled with the vinegar solution to clean them.
- Tiny bits of stuck-on food can be the toughest stains to tackle. Use a soft brush to give you extra scrubbing power or let the stains soak for a few minutes to make them easier to remove.
4. Run a deep-clean dishwasher cycle
- Put the racks and other parts back inside the dishwasher.
- Place a cup filled with white vinegar on one of the racks inside the dishwasher, and run a full cycle with the hottest water possible. Alternatively, you can use a product specifically designed to clean the dishwasher. Just follow the directions on the label.
- When the cycle is finished, you’ll have a clean appliance!
Knowing how to clean a dishwasher will soon become second nature – so there really is no excuse for leaving the dirty dishes to pile up!