- Layers of newspaper and mulch will suffocate weeds to clear flowerbeds.
- Vinegar removes weeds quickly.
- Dry out weeds with 1 ½ tbsp vodka in 2 cups of water.
- Remove weeds with a 3:1 water to the salt solution.
- Avoid using these solutions on grass or flowers you want to keep.
Weeds can be such a nuisance in a garden but there are right and wrong ways to go about removing them. In this article, we'll show you tips for keeping weeds at bay by highlighting different weed management techniques everyone should know.
How to get rid of weeds naturally: Top remedies for garden weeds
Need to figure out some methods of weed control in your flower beds? Here is our advice:
- Clear a flowerbed ready for planting with old newspaper. Use the following steps:
- Layer newspaper over the top of the weeds.
- Ensure they have no access to any sunlight or air.
- Add a little water to your newspaper to add weight. This will hold it down.
- Place mulch over the top.
- This method will get rid of the weeds by smothering them.
- Mulch-newspaper layers are also a great way to nourish your plants as they decompose.
- Did you know vinegar is a desiccant? This means using it as a spray weed remover will help get rid of weeds in your garden.
- Place vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray it directly onto the weeds, covering all the leaves.
- Take care to avoid spraying any vinegar on surrounding flowers or grass.
- Vinegar is less likely to work on weeds such as pennywort and thistles. Don’t waste it!
- Vodka doesn’t just make for great shots. It is also great at drying out weeds.
- Mix 1 ½ tablespoons of vodka and 2 cups of water.
- Put this mix into a watering can.
- Water any weeds which grow in sunlight.
- Always wash out your watering can before watering other plants you don’t want to remove.
- A vodka-water mix won’t work on shade-loving weeds, so try a different method.
- Seaweed may like salty water, but most weeds don’t! For this budget-friendly method use the following steps:
- Create a mixture of 3:1 water to salt using rock or table salt.
- Use your salty mix to water your weeds.
- Dealing with super stubborn weeds? Add a greater ratio of salt to the mix and try again.
With these quick and easy weed control methods, you now have a guide for all you need to keep those weeds at bay. For more garden advice check out our article on how to use a pressure washer.