If you’re wondering how to get rid of cats in the garden, follow these steps:
- Make use of smells they don’t like, like lavender, rosemary, and citrus.
- Make the soil less comfortable to walk on by mulching with gravel.
- Lay down netting to make it harder for them to dig.
- Don’t do anything that will actually harm the cat.
If your neighbor’s cats are kicking over your flowerpots and rolling around in your birdbath, don’t worry! We’re going to walk you through how to keep cats away with natural, harmless tricks. Learn more about cat repellent plants and other tips for how to get rid of cats pooping in your yard and digging holes in your garden!
How to get rid of cats in the garden: tips and tricks
If your neighbor’s cats make regular appearances in your garden, you’ll be needing cat repellent DIY hacks. Check out these tips and tricks for information on how to keep cats away:
- Cats are great at scaling fences, but you can make it harder for them. To prevent cats from getting over your fence into your garden, try fitting a taut string about 10 cm above the fence. It’ll be tricky for them to balance on the fence with string in the way.
- Did you know that there are a few plants cats hate? Try introducing plants to keep cats away, such as lavender and rosemary. Not only is lavender a great natural cat repellent, but it also adds a lovely touch of color to your garden and smells great!
- Another great cat repellent DIY idea is to scatter orange or lemon peels on the soil. Cats tend to not be the biggest fans of citrus, so you can keep them away from your flowerbeds with these leftover fruit peels.
- Mulching with gravel is another effective natural cat repellent. Layer gravel or stone chips among your flowerbeds so that they’re much less appealing for cats to walk on.
- If you want to know how to get rid of cats pooping in your yard or garden, make it difficult for them to dig holes. Try laying poultry netting over your soil to prevent the cat from digging.
How to keep cats away safely
If the above cat repellent plants and tricks aren’t doing the job, there are products available specifically designed to help with how to get rid of cats in the garden:
- You can scatter cat repellent pellets or granules around your garden to put them off.
- You can also use ultrasonic cat repellent instead of those plants cats hate. These devices give off a high-pitched sound, generally inaudible to humans, which cats don’t enjoy being around.
Whatever you do, don’t take any measures that could actually endanger the cat. Whether you opt for different mulching techniques or one of the many plants to keep cats away, there are plenty of ways to repel these furry friends safely and naturally.