- Start by washing and drying your car.
- Clean using a soft microfibre cloth.
- Use a coin-sized amount of toothpaste for small scratches.
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, use a scratch-remover product for deeper scratches.
It can sometimes feel like an expensive inconvenience, but scratches on a car can be dealt with effectively at home with some insider intel! Read on for our step-by-step guide on how to remove scratches from car paint in two easy fixes, including one home remedy solution.
How to fix scratches on car paint: two step-by-step methods for scratch removal
Whether you have a paint scratch or wish to learn how to clean bumper scratch marks, we’ve got you covered with these two methods:
- Here’s how to deal with light scratches using toothpaste:
- Start by washing and drying your car where it has been scratched. For more detailed advice check out our article on how to clean your car.
- Dampen a clean, soft, microfibre cloth. Ensure it is not saturated.
- Add a coin-sized drop of toothpaste.
- Working in a circular motion, rub toothpaste evenly into the scratch using a small amount of pressure.
- Buff out the scratch, adding another drop of toothpaste if needed.
- Repeat steps 3-6 if needed, but never apply more than three applications as this could damage the paintwork.
- Use a hose to rinse off your car and remove all traces of excess toothpaste.
- Want to know how to remove a deep scratch from car paint? Use the following steps:
- Your car must be clean before working on a deep scratch.
- Use a specialised scratch-removal product and soft, clean microfibre cloth.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions, applying your product in a circular motion until it is evenly distributed over the scratch.
- Make sure you wipe away any excess product, never allowing it to dry onto the surface.
- If needs be, repeat steps 10-12, but always check the label as some products may only be safe for applying only once.
With these two simple methods, scratches on your car need not be a bother! Don’t forget that if these methods don’t work, always seek advice from a professional.