More and more of us are choosing to ‘go green’ and adopt a more environmentally friendly lifestyle. We recycle our household waste, we turn lights off in favour of natural light, and some of us even instal renewable energy systems.
If you’d like to be more environmentally friendly, here is a handy list of affordable eco cleaning products that you can use in many areas of your home.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Products – Natural Solutions
If you can’t find eco cleaning disinfectant or eco washing powder in your local store – or even if you’d simply rather make your own – here are three natural cleaning products that you can use that are good for the environment and for your budget.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Product No. 1: Baking Soda
Baking soda contains small amounts of natural acid, making it an excellent eco-friendly cleaner. Here are some ways you can use baking soda to clean different areas of your home.
- Keep an open box of baking soda in your refrigerator and food cupboards to absorb bad smells.
- Sprinkle baking soda onto your carpets before vacuuming to freshen up carpet fibres.
- Sprinkle baking soda onto kitchen work surfaces, and wipe with a damp cloth to remove dirt, stains, and greasy residue.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Product No. 2: White Vinegar
White vinegar is acidic, and while it’s not always as good as baking soda at cleaning dirt, it is considered to be more effective in the removal of germs and bacteria from the home.
- Pour white vinegar onto a washable cloth and wipe over kitchen and bathroom walls to slow down the growth of mould.
- Mix white vinegar with a small amount of salt to make a paste. Use this to clean stainless steel or chrome taps and sink basins.
- Pour white vinegar onto the inside of the oven door and leave to sit for five minutes before wiping off to tackle grease stains and food splatters in the oven.
White vinegar and baking soda can make any even stronger natural cleaner when combined together. Their fixing action is perfect for unblocking pipes and drains, and for removing limescale.
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Product No. 3: Lavender
More than just a pleasant scent for your home, lavender oil is actually a very effective antibacterial product.
- Mix 20 drops of lavender oil with a cup full of water and keep in a spray bottle for a multi-purpose antibacterial cleaner that can be left to dry naturally.
- Soak cotton balls in lavender oil and leave them near doors and windows to deter bugs from entering the home.
So, the next time you need a quick solution to mess in the home you may find you have an eco-friendly cleaner just waiting in your cupboard. Give it a try!