Throwing a baby shower at home is a lot of fun – but it can also feel a bit daunting, too. That’s where we come in! Let us show you how simple it can be to put together a baby shower program that the mom-to-be and all the guests will love.
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
What do you need for a baby shower?
First things first, let’s set out a handy baby shower planning checklist to highlight the essentials of how to host a baby shower at home:
- Guests: let mom-to-be take the lead with the list, then you can send the invites.
- Theme: this can help narrow down choices.
- Food: a buffet or afternoon tea is easier than a formal meal.
- Games: the sillier the better!
- Gifts: it’s worth checking what preferences the mom-to-be has for this one.
How to organise a baby shower theme
Baby showers definitely don’t need a theme, but you might find it easier to coordinate everything. If the baby’s gender is known, then a simple pink or blue theme works really well. You can then use that colour scheme to inspire the decorations, food and games.
How to plan a baby shower feast
You can bet mom-to-be will be craving certain things, so check what she particularly fancies. Afternoon tea works really well for a baby shower. You could include:
- Finger sandwiches – with classic, crowd-pleasing fillings.
- Mini cakes or biscuits – decorate them with edible toppers shaped like baby items.
- A range of un-caffeinated teas – serve in fancy teapots and teacups (bear in mind that it’s recommended to only have four cups of herbal tea a day during pregnancy).
- Non-alcoholic fizzy drink – toast mom-to-be with bubbles in champagne glasses.
When coming up with baby shower ideas for food, avoid anything that shouldn’t be eaten during pregnancy, like:
- Raw/undercooked eggs
- Raw/undercooked/cold cured meats, or game
- Soft blue cheeses/soft cheeses with white rinds
- Liver products
- Raw shellfish, and shark/swordfish/marlin (tuna is limited)
Choosing baby shower games
If you’re wondering what to do at a baby shower, the simple answer is: play games! Here are a few ideas:
- Guess the baby photo: ask the guests to bring photos of themselves as babies, then number them and display them for everyone to match the baby photo to the guest.
- Guess the baby food: guests taste a range of numbered but label-less baby foods and guess what ingredients it contains.
- Pin the baby on the mommy: rather than pinning the tail on the donkey, the blindfolded guests will spin around and try to pin a picture of a baby onto a picture of mom-to-be – whoever’s closest to the belly wins.
Arranging the baby shower gift list
The mom-to-be will no doubt have a view on the baby shower gift list, whether she wants vouchers for certain stores, contributions towards a big-ticket item, or baby clothes and essential items, as a kind-on-skin laundry detergent like Sunlight. You’re the go-between, so make sure you understand what the guest of honour wants, and then make it clear on the invitations what the guests should bring.
Now that you know how to plan a baby shower you can get started. Remember it’s meant to be fun, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Enjoy exploring lots of different baby shower ideas, and have fun toasting mom-to-be!