Colds and cases of flu are pretty common, mainly because of how easily they spread. They can also be very nasty and definitely not something you want to regularly get! They can leave you spending days upon days in bed, not being able to do anything, and feeling absolutely terrible - sounds bad, doesn’t it? Luckily, there are a lot of cold and flu prevention methods you can follow to keep you healthy.
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
What causes influenza?
The first step you need to take if you’re trying to find out how to avoid the flu is finding out what causes it. Only then can you work on influenza prevention!
There are only 3 viruses that can cause the flu - Type A, Type B, and Type C - and Type C is the only one you can’t be vaccinated for. You can come into contact with the flu virus by being near someone who has it; as soon as they cough or sneeze, the virus is everywhere! You can breathe it in or get it on your hands, which you then pass into your body when you touch your eyes, nose, or mouth.
So, how long is the flu contagious? If you’re around someone who is sick, the first 3-4 days are usually when you need to be extra careful, but they can stay contagious for up to about a week after getting sick.
What causes a cold?
There are hundreds of different viruses that cause a cold, and they work in the same way as the flu, entering your body when you breathe them in or touch your nose, eyes, or mouth.
How to prevent cold and flu
If you’re wondering how to prevent the flu or a cold, follow these tips:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water regularly.
- Avoid being around sick people for long periods of time.
- Does hand sanitizer kill viruses? Yes! Alcohol rub hand sanitizers can kill a lot of viruses, helping to stop colds and cases of flu from spreading.
- Keep a good diet so that your body is stronger and can fight off the cold and flu viruses.
- Stop smoking; it really will make you more prone to colds and cases of flu!
- Can the flu virus live on surfaces? It sure can, so wipe your surfaces down frequently with a bleach-based product like Domestos Thick Bleach or a multipurpose surface cleaner like Handy Andy.
Keeping yourself healthy and hygienic is the best way to prevent colds and cases of flu. Make sure you wash regularly, keep your hands clean, and live a healthy lifestyle with plenty of good food and exercise to keep all those nasty illnesses away!