Follow these tips before going to bed for a better night's sleep:
- Make sure your bed is clean, tidy, and comfortable.
- Turn off any electronic devices 1 hour before you go to bed.
- Keep your room cool, dark, and quiet for a restful night.
While some people fall asleep in an instant, others have to fight to get their forty winks. Getting a good night's sleep is important for your health so making your home a relaxing environment designed for good sleep and encouraging good bedtime habits is important. Check out our tips for how to improve your sleep to see what you can do.
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
How to sleep better ... by sharing chores
To start learning how to get a good night's sleep, you need to make sure you're getting enough time to rest before bed. This begins with your chores:
- If you’re up late cleaning, you’re not giving your body the downtime it needs to get into a sleeping state.
- Share your chores out fairly with the rest of the family so that there is less to do. Try our kids chore chart ideas to get little ones involved too!
- Create a schedule for your household that splits up the work throughout the week.
- Give yourself some downtime after completing your chores and before going to bed to help your body rest.
How to sleep better ... by changing your bedtime routine
Try these tips for how to sleep better at night naturally by creating a better sleeping environment. They're all simple things to do before going to bed:
- Switch off your devices. The blue light from your laptop, phone, and other gadgets can make you feel more awake so power down at least 1 hour before bedtime.
- Keep your bedroom cosy. Cool, dark and quiet are the perfect sleeping conditions for anyone. Shut out light with blackout curtains, install a good air conditioner or use a small fan, and make sure it’s not too noisy. You can try wearing earplugs and an eye mask if needed.
- Invest in a good bed. Make sure you mattress is comfy yet firm and supportive, plump those pillows, and get your sheets just right before jumping in.
How to have a good night's sleep ... by cleaning your home
It’s not uncommon for people to say they rest better in a clean, tidy home, so why not give it a go in yours?
- Keep up with a daily cleaning schedule of tidying clothes, washing up dirty items, and cleaning away general clutter to create a more organised space to rest in.
- Schedule a regular deep clean to remove bacteria, dirt, and other irritants that may affect your happiness in your home.
- Try cleaning with essential oils to introduce calming scents into your home without investing in lots of air fresheners. Lavender is particularly soothing.
- Change your bed sheets every 1-2 weeks to keep your bed a welcoming space that you love to fall into.
- Wash bedding with a quality detergent and scented fabric softener so that they always smell inviting. Get our help choosing the right bedding for a clean and comfortable home.
- Don't forget to wash your pillows and duvet a couple of times a year. Read our tips on removing stains from mattresses to give it some TLC at least once a year too.
- Rotate or flip your mattress as advised by the manufacturer so that it wears evenly.
When it comes to what can you do to sleep better, creating a restful, tidy environment is definitely something you should try. Remember to turn off those devices and follow our other tips to make your home a spa-like oasis.