Wondering what to do with kids on rainy days? There are lots of fun activities for kids that you can enjoy on rainy days, both indoors and outdoors! Just because it’s not sunny outside doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. Here we’ll reveal some of our best ideas for what to do on a rainy day, from educational activities to games that’ll let your little ones use up some of their energy. Take a look!
Rainy day activities for kids: staying indoors
If the weather’s too bad to even think about going outside, don’t worry - there are plenty of rainy day activities that you can do inside, including:
- Building a fort: we’re yet to meet a child that doesn’t love to build forts, so why not add this to your list of rainy-day ideas for kids? Just grab some cushions, pillows, and blankets then get building!
- Going on a treasure hunt: send your little ones on a fun hunt around the house, writing out clues that’ll lead them to a piece of treasure. This could be anything from a toy to a bar of chocolate.
- Hosting a home cinema: grab some cinema snacks, find a great movie, and settle down to watch it together - blankets are optional!
- Baking treats: from cupcakes to cookies, baking some tasty treats will always go down well with little ones! If your kids are too young to bake, why not get them to decorate your creations instead?
Outdoor things to do on a rainy day with kids
If you’re not worried about getting a bit wet, check out these things to do on a rainy day - just remember your raincoat!
- Visit the library: pick up some new bedtime stories, play some games, and enjoy a walk with a trip to the library.
- Play in the mud: head outside with some bowls to play with the mud in your garden. Look for all the bugs and worms you can find, and have fun getting messy.
- Go for a walk: have some rainy day fun and head out for a walk. Make it educational by dropping stones into puddles to see how ripples form or watching small items like sticks travel down streams. You can even just look at how different animals respond to the wet weather and how the sights, sounds and smell of your local area change.
Preparing for a rainy day fun: How to clean a raincoat
If trying one of our outdoor things to do on a rainy day, make sure everyone is wearing raincoats and waterproof boots so they can splash about in the puddles and make the most of the rain. Once you're back inside, follow our instructions on how to wash a raincoat properly to get rid of any muddy messes.
- Wipe off any mud, dirt, and grass.
- Mix together some liquid detergent and warm water. Rub it onto the raincoat with a cloth using a circular motion.
- Make sure the pockets are empty and fasten any zips, buttons or straps.
- Check the care label for washing instructions. Most raincoats will follow the same routine, but some fabrics may require additional instructions.
- If it can be washed in the washing machine, use a delicate detergent like Skip and wash it on the delicate or slow spin cycle. Run an additional rinse cycle to get rid of any detergent residues.
- If it must be handwashed, use a bucket of water and a little detergent. Rinse in a bucket of cool water.
- Dry the coat immediately after washing to prevent wrinkles. Check the label for specific drying instructions - some raincoats are dryer-friendly but others may be damaged by the heat.
Now that you have a bunch of fun indoor activities for kids on rainy days as well as ideas for what to do outdoors, you never have to let the weather spoil your day again! Just remember to wrap your little ones up in a waterproof jacket and clean all the muddy clothes when you come back inside.