They say moving to a new house is one of the most stressful things you’ll ever do, but it doesn’t have to be. Whether you’re moving out of your parents’ house having lived there your whole life or you’re moving out of a home you’ve been in for just a few months, being organised and planning well in advance can be a lifesaver for taking the stress out of this task. To help your moving out go without a hitch, here are our top moving house tips and the ultimate moving house checklist.
Are you moving? Tips for a smooth move:
- Plan early, plan extensively: there’s nothing more important than being prepared when it comes to moving house. It’s never too early to start Marie Kondo-ing anything you don’t want to take and giving your space a good pre-move clean. Also, start collecting packing materials – boxes, tape, pens and insulation. You can start packing away things you don’t use regularly as soon as the move is confirmed.
- Get the cleaners in: whether you’re selling your own home and want to ensure it’s in good condition or you’re leaving a rental house and need to get your deposit back, it’s vital to ensure good house cleaning after moving. If you’re feeling energetic or want to save a bit of cash you can do this yourself. Just be sure to factor it into your timeframe – you’ll probably need at least a full day after everything has been removed. However, if you’re short on time you can always get in the professionals!
- Shop around for professional house movers: unless you’ve got very willing (and muscly) friends and family, it’s likely you’ll need to get professionals in to help with your house moving. The trick here is to get at least three quotes before you decide who to go with and if the quotes are quite similar or you’re not convinced on quality, look online or ask around for recommendations.
How to make house moving go smoothly: the ultimate moving house checklist
When it comes to project managing a big event in your life there’s nothing like a checklist to keep you on the straight and narrow. Here’s a house moving checklist to use throughout the process. Print it out and add your own additional tasks as you go:
- Pack up your possessions by house-area
- Put the things you’ll need first in last
- Label boxes thoroughly
- Insulate anything breakable
- Check every last corner of the house to ensure you haven’t forgotten anything
- Ensure the house is cleaned from top to bottom before you hand it over
- Agree with the new owner where you’ll leave the keys or how you’ll hand them over
Use this checklist as your starting point and add other items that are particular to you. Keep your checklist with you throughout the process and be sure to update it regularly. By staying in full control of the process you’ll be settled into your new home in no time!