From packing up to cleaning up; moving house can feel like a pretty mammoth task. Especially if you’re downsizing. Help is at hand, though: read on for a comprehensive list of moving tips, from the planning stages and packing tips for moving to a list of areas you might not have thought to clean.
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
Get the timing right
When you’re moving into a new house, it’s so tempting to bury your head in the sand until that final date is staring you in the face. Then you panic, try to do everything at once, and end up leaving items behind.
Here are a few moving house tips for avoiding losing your head at the last minute:
- Keep your deadline in sight. If you’re moving in two months, set up calendar alerts to notify you six weeks, one month, two weeks, and one week before.
- Make a ‘moving house’ checklist with time-specific goals. For example, you might decide you want to have packed up your box room one month before you move.
- Book your transportation well ahead of time, and have a backup in mind. These services can fill up fast, so don’t leave it until the last minute.
- Allow one day to clean each room – it always takes longer than you think it will! If you have time left over, you can put your feet up and congratulate yourself on a job well done.
Want packing tips for moving that’ll make the process easier? Just be methodical and stock up in advance!
Unless they’re provided by your removal company, you’ll need to make sure you have enough boxes and bags to put things in before you start packing as well as plenty of packaging tape and permanent markers. You’ll need something to protect fragile items so buy bubble wrap or recycle old towels and t-shirts for a more sustainable option.
When it comes to the process of packing, one of the best moving tips is to work room by room. This approach is useful for a couple of reasons. First, it helps you keep a clear picture of what’s been done and what you still need to do. Second, it helps keep your stuff organised. Be sure to label your boxes with the room they belong in to save time at the other end as well.
What should you clean before moving?
Whether you’re a tenant or a homeowner, you’ll need to make cleaning part of your moving checklist. It’s easy to overlook certain areas though, so use this list to help you:
- Dust ledges and skirting boards thoroughly
- Clean ceiling fixtures and lights
- Wash windows inside and out if it is safe to do so
- Polish door knobs and other small fixtures
- Remove smudgy fingerprints from light-switches
- Sweep away cobwebs from corners
- Make sure mirrors are gleaming and streak-free
- Replace filters in cooker exhaust fans and wash them down
- Make sure cupboards are clear and have been cleaned thoroughly, inside and out
- Check the insides of big appliances like the cooker, washing machine and fridge
- Hoover or sweep behind large appliances and furniture
- Give floors and carpets a final wash before leaving the room
It’ll be easiest and most efficient to do this in stages once you’ve finished packing each room up. If the idea of all this cleaning is daunting, then ask for help! Make sure everyone who lives with you pitches in by defining your ‘moving house’ checklist as a group. If you live alone, then ask friends and family to lend you a hand; whether in the actual cleaning or just by being on hand to make some hot drinks and offer moral support.
There you have it: a bundle of moving tips to help you through this stressful but exciting time. Here’s to a smooth move, and a great time in your new home!