Many South African homeowners have started installing laminate flooring in their homes instead of carpets. Not only is laminate flooring a lot more affordable than real wood it’s really easy to install, clean and maintain, plus it gives your home an ultra-modern finish.
Luckily, cleaning laminate floors doesn’t require too much effort. Unfortunately, laminate flooring is not waterproof, so when it comes to cleaning your floors, less water is always better.
When it comes to your laminate floor, cleaning it regularly is one of the best ways to keep it in great condition. Regular maintenance will help prevent scratches, but harsh cleaning products and over-brushing can cause damage over time. Want to learn more about the best way to clean laminate flooring? Keep reading.
How to clean laminate flooring
- Sweeping and vacuuming your floors on a daily basis will help prevent the build-up of dirt. While some suppliers will tell you that laminate flooring is scratch-resistant, most hard flooring will get scratched if there is enough debris on it, which ends up affecting the finish. It’s best to use a soft brush or soft vacuum attachment to clean your laminate floors. Hard brushes tend to cause scratching over time.
- Get rid of spills quickly. Since water can damage your laminate floors, it’s best to wipe up any spills sooner rather than later. Spills can end up staining your floors and even wear away the protective coating. Wipe up the spill using a clean paper towel or cloth, ensuring that the floor is completely dry.
- Clean your floors thoroughly every few months. Life happens, pets run through the house with muddy paws and children spill cooldrink while watching their favourite show, which is why it’s a good idea to give your laminate floors a proper clean every few months. Use a bucket of warm water and a good laminate floor cleaner to mop your floors. Remember to wring out the mop properly so that your floor is only slightly damp and not soaking wet. Don’t let puddles form on your floors to avoid any long-term damage.
Tips for Cleaning laminate floors the Right Way
- Keeping your laminate floors clean means having the right equipment. A flat squeegee mop is the best option as you can easily squeeze out any excess water and it allows you to give your floors a damp wipe and not a soak.
- Make sure that you’re using a product that’s designed for laminate floors. If you’re unsure, check the label to see if it’s suitable.
- Always test a patch of flooring first before cleaning the entire floor.
- Stay away from too much water when cleaning your floors.
Follow these tips and your laminate flooring will stay shiny and dirt-free all year long.