Wondering how to clean a whiteboard and remove stubborn stains? Try these tips:
- Use rubbing alcohol for immediate results.
- Not got any? Then try toothpaste for a quick fix.
- Mix vinegar and water for an all-purpose and natural whiteboard cleaner.
From weekly chores to the family calendar, whiteboards are a great household too but all that daily writing and erasing can cause smudges and stains to build up. Follow our tips and tricks below to learn how to clean a whiteboard and make this task the easiest on your to-do list.
How do you know that the surfaces in your kitchen and bathroom have been disinfected?
What is the best way to clean a whiteboard?
Wondering what to clean a whietboard with? There are a lot of options but in general rubbing alcohol is the best choice. It’s cheap, easy to use, and does a great job of clearing off even the most stubborn of smears!
Here’s how to use it:
- Apply rubbing alcohol to a soft, non-abrasive cloth.
- Wipe over the whiteboard.
- For tougher permanent marker, you may need to apply more rubbing alcohol.
- Wipe with a damp cloth (water only) to "rinse".
- Let it dry fully before writing on it again. You may want to buff with a dry cloth to prevent streaks.
If you can’t get your hands on rubbing alcohol or want to learn how to clean a whiteboard without chemicals, try our alternative methods below:
How to clean a whiteboard with toothpaste
Toothpaste is slightly abrasive which makes it great for cleaning the pen of your whiteboards.
- Grab the tube from the bathroom and squeeze it directly onto the board or a clean and dry paper towel.
- Use a paper towel to wipe the toothpaste in circular motions on the whiteboard, spreading it evenly.
- Take a new cloth and wipe off the stains and excess toothpaste. Repeat until it's fully removed.
How to clean a whiteboard with vinegar
If you prefer to keep things natural when you clean, white vinegar makes a great whiteboard solution.
- Mix white vinegar with water in equal parts.
- Apply it to the whiteboard using a spray bottle.
- Let it sit for a couple of minutes before using a cloth to wipe away the old pen marks.
- "Rinse" by wiping the board with a damp cloth (water only).
Why is regular whiteboard cleaning important?
The best tip to remember with whiteboard cleaning is to do it regularly - the longer you let marks sit, the harder they’re going to be to remove! Use a quality cleaner, like Handy Andy, or one of our methods to wipe off lingering pen marks get rid of any smudges or smears every couple of weeks.
Knowing how to clean a whiteboard not only helps them to last longer but it also looks much nicer in your home! Of course, the permanent markers you use don’t always end up on the board, especially with little ones around so make sure you know how to remove these pen marks from surfaces around your house, too.