Have you ever wondered how to clean your beauty blender or, for the old-school among us, how to clean makeup sponges? Cleaning your beauty blender regularly can make a real difference to your skin. It makes sense: a clean makeup sponge means reduced bacterial growth on the sponge and, in turn, less on your skin. If you don’t know where to begin to clean your makeup sponge, then we can help!
Has your cleaning regime changed during the Covid-19 lockdown?
How to clean a beauty blender sponge
To keep your precious makeup applicators as clean and fresh as your face, follow this step-by-step guide on how to wash a makeup sponge:
- Prepare your beauty sponge cleaner kit. You’ll need a small bowl of warm water and a gentle beauty sponge cleaner. A gentle shampoo is a good household alternative.
- Create a lather. Put your cleaner in the water and agitate it lightly.
- Soak for 30 minutes. The sponge will ‘grow’ as water is absorbed and dirt dislodged.
- Squeeze and massage the sponge. This will help dislodge deeper dirt and makeup.
- Repeat if necessary. Once the water in the bowl has coloured, you need to replace it. Do this as many times as needed until your sponge runs almost clean when squeezed.
- Rinse under the tap until the water runs clear. Squeeze out excess water and dry fully.
If the beauty sponge remains dirty after this, you can sterilise it by placing it in a bowl of water and microwaving for 1 minute. Make sure you use enough water to fully cover the sponge.
Now that you know how to clean a blender and other types of beauty sponges, be sure to do this regularly to prevent the build-up of dirt and grime. Being hygienic with your makeup supplies and tools is crucial to ensuring glowing, healthy skin!