A clean hob can change the entire appearance of your kitchen. Rather than it looking cluttered, dull, or dirty, simply cleaning the hob can make the kitchen appear fresher. Unfortunately, hobs get dirty very easily, whether you accidentally allow your potatoes to boil over or if your homemade tomato sauce gets a bit too bubbly in the pot, and most of us don’t have the time to clean the hob after each use.
Food can become dried on, which makes it a nightmare to remove, so it’s always best to clean up spillages quickly if you don’t want to spend a whole day scrubbing at old food.
How to Clean a Ceramic Hob or Glass Hob in 4 Steps
Ceramic hobs look beautiful and are an excellent addition to any kitchen. However, if you don’t know how to clean a ceramic hob, you could end up with a cooker top that looks like it’s been in a fight with a bear. The same goes for glass hobs. If you don’t know how to clean a glass hob, you’re in trouble. The problem with ceramic and glass hobs is that they scratch very easily.
However, to get dried food off the hob, scraping it is the best method. There are plenty of homeowners out there that swear by tile scraping tools to get the job done, but unless you’re prepared to take a large chunk out of the ceramic, this isn’t recommended. Here’s what we do recommend for cleaning ceramic hobs:
- Remove all loose pieces of food first, so you’re just working with the stubborn stains.
- Apply a small amount of cleaning fluid specially designed for ceramic hobs or glass hobs, like Handy Andy Kitchen Spray. This fluid will be completely smooth in texture, with nothing that could scrape and mark the hob.
- Allow the cleaning fluid to soak in, but not dry completely. You want it to soften the hard, dried food, but not become difficult to remove.
- Use a microfibre cloth to clean the majority of the ceramic hob. If there are areas that need a bit more elbow grease, try using some scrunched up newspaper. It’s a rougher texture, yet should still be soft enough to not cause damage. Always try on a small area first and stop if you notice any scratches.
Do you wash your dishes by hand or use a dishwasher?
How to Clean an Induction Hob in 4 Steps
Cleaning induction hobs is a piece of cake. Their innovative design makes it much less likely that food will burn onto the cooker top, so you shouldn’t need any especially strong cleaning materials – a simple kitchen spray and plain old water should do the job perfectly. Ensure that the hob has had sufficient time to cool before cleaning it.
- Remove all loose food and dirt, making it easier to see which areas need special attention.
- Apply warm, soapy water to the hob using a soft cloth. A good kitchen spray targeted at lifting food grease is best, but you can also use either dishwashing soap or even a good quality liquid laundry detergent – both do the job well.
- Rinse and dry the induction hob, and then apply some white vinegar to the cooker top using a clean cloth for an extra shine.
- Finally, buff the cooker top using a clean cloth.
How to Clean an Electric Hob in 4 Steps
If you’ve got an electric hob with hotplates, cleaning can be little more difficult. It’s common for owners to dither over how to clean electric hob plates – should you scrub them or treat them delicately? Fortunately, hotplates can usually withstand a bit of rough treatment, which should make cleaning much quicker and simpler.
- If your hot plates are removable, take them off the cooker top – this will make cleaning much easier.
- Use a specially designed commercial cleaning product like Handy Andy Kitchen Spray, which is the easiest option. Apply as directed and allow to soak in before removing it.
- Don’t be afraid of using wire wool to scrub hot plates, but test on a small section first. If any scratching appears, stop immediately and switch to a softer cloth.
- Always rinse the hot plate thoroughly.
The secret to maintaining a clean, shiny hob is to clean up spills and dirt as soon as possible, before they’ve had time to dry on. Believe it or not, spending just 5 minutes a day wiping your cooker top is a much better option than spending much longer on the job once a month. With these tips, however, you should have it down to an art in no time.