Dishwashers are great for easily cleaning dishes but there are plenty of benefits to washing dishes by hand. Not only does dishwashing by hand mean you’re able to clean small or tight areas, it also means you don’t have to worry about items being dishwasher-safe or an expensive water bill coming through your door.
And best of all? It’s great for the environment to use less water. Here’s how to make dishwashing by hand easy and enjoyable.
Dishwasher vs hand washing
The great debate of dishwasher vs hand washing: Is it better for the planet to hand wash dishes? Is dishwashing by hand more financially savvy?
It really depends on your dishwasher, how modern it is and whether it has a short cycle or eco setting. Hand washing dishes is certainly a more energy-efficient way to clean up after a meal. And with a few simple steps, hand washing dishes can save water too.
How to clean dishes by hand
Have you ever wondered what the proper way to hand wash dishes is? Some warm water, a cloth and a bit of elbow grease – it all seems easy enough, but how to clean dishes by hand while saving water requires a bit more thought. Here’s the proper way to hand wash dishes, the environmentally responsible way.
- Pre-soak heavily soiled dishes in your washing up bowl rather than rinsing them under the tap.
- Hand wash dishes in a bowl rather than under a running tap.
- Use a fast-acting dishwashing liquid like Sunlight. Simply add a teaspoon-sized squirt to your washing up bowl while the water is running and wash dishes in the resulting lather.
- Have a second bowl handy to rinse soapy dishes. Resist the temptation to rinse them under a running tap.
- Finished? Use the dish water to water your garden. Small amounts of diluted dish soap shouldn’t harm your plants, and is better than no water at all during a drought.
If you do need to use your dishwasher – sometimes no amount of scrubbing can solve the problem of burnt-on food residue – use the eco setting and wait until it’s full before turning it on. Use Sunlight dishwashing tablets to get the job done fast and lift heavy stains from dishes, pans and pots.
Knowing how to hand wash dishes is just one way to modify our behaviour in the face of climate change and droughts.