Have you ever asked yourself ‘how to get rid of smell in the fridge’? You've maybe done a quick google search for ‘how to get smell out of the fridge’? Well, you’re not alone. A lot of people want to know how to get rid of bad smell in the fridge caused by old food, smelly cheeses or a lump of garlic that’s been festering for weeks.
Don’t worry, if your fridge smells bad we’ve got everything you need to sort the problem out and prevent the build-up of nasty odours in the future. Read our three-step guide to how to clean a smelly fridge.
How to remove smell from the fridge, step 2: clean your fridge out thoroughly
Right, so you’ve got rid of the culprit, but what if the smell is still there? How to get rid of fridge odor itself? There are a few different techniques you can use to remove smell from the fridge:
- One option is to mix of 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda to 1-litre warm water and give the fridge a good once over.
- Alternatively, use a disinfectant solution with a pleasant (but not too intense) scent that will mask nasty odours.
- Or you could simply wet an effective cleaner like Handy Andy to give your fridge’s insides a good scrub.
How to remove smell from the fridge, step 3: prevent bad smells from ever coming back
Now you that know how to remove odour from the fridge, how do you stop it ever coming back? Here are a few different ways:
- Try leaving an open container of bicarbonate of soda inside the fridge for three months. Bicarb soaks up scents and removes them from the air. Be sure to date it so you know when it needs replacing and leave at the back of the fridge, but clearly visible so you don’t accidentally knock it over!
- You could also try specialist fridge deodorisers. These can be purchased from kitchen shops and cleaning warehouses. They’re a little like air fresheners for your fridge, designed not to overpower the natural fragrance of the food inside.
No one likes their fridge to smell off. Luckily by following these simple steps, you’ll be able to eradicate any odours and keep them away for good!