To keep your Nespresso coffee machine in good condition, follow these key steps:
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using and maintaining your coffee machine.
- Clean it regularly using the guidelines below.
- Descale your coffee machine every 3 months or 300 uses, whichever comes first.
- Rinse your machine thoroughly after descaling it to ensure that no chemicals get into your coffee.
They may make an irresistible blend of espresso and coffee but cleaning a Nespresso machine is not quite as enticing - unless you know the best method, that is. Learn how to clean Nespresso machines quickly and effectively with our expert coffee machine tips. It even includes guidance on how to descale Nespresso machines to prevent nasty limescale build-up in your favourite brew.
How do you know that the surfaces in your kitchen and bathroom have been disinfected?
Nespresso cleaning instructions: A step-by-step guide
Need to clean a Nespresso machine but not sure how? Try our 4-step guide to cleaning a Nespresso coffee machine:
- Remove and wash the drip-tray. Use washing up liquid and a clean cloth.
- Rinse the water tank. This can help to prevent the build-up of limescale.
- Take out the capsule detector lens and wipe gently. Use a soft cloth (one that doesn't collect lint as this could cause abrasions) and wipe all over the surface of the lens.
- Wipe down the external parts to remove any stains. There's no need for strong chemicals here - they could actually harm the machine! Use plain water and a little dishwashing soap if you have to. Always 'rinse' by wiping with plain water afterwards to remove any traces of the cleeaner.
The ultimate guide to descaling Nespresso machine
Nepresso descaling may not be your favourite pastime but it is important if you want a really good cup of coffee. You should descale your coffee machine every 3 months or 300 capsules, whichever comes first. Nespresso descaling instructions may come with the machine so always check these first and follow the manufacturer’s advice. Our guide covers all the important basics for most coffee machines:
- Empty the capsule container.
- Empty the drip tray.
- Return both to the machine and turn it on.
- Switch the machine to descaling mode.
- Check there is a flashing LED light to indicate this is working (consult the manufacturer’s instructions to check where yours should be).
- Fill the tank with descaling solution (this can be purchased from the Nespresso website or you can use water and white vinegar).
- Start the descaling process. The machine automatically takes the descaling liquid and processes it until the water comes from where coffee usually does.
- Once finished, rinse all removeable parts in warm water to remove any trace of the descaling liquid.
- Dry and reassemble your machine.,
- Fill the tank with clean water and let this run through the machine to rinse out the inside sections and remove any traces of the descaler.
- Switch off descaling mode.
- Use your coffee machine as normal.
Now you’ve got a handle on good Nespresso maintenance, simply include this activity in your regular household cleaning regime and you’ll always be sure of getting the very best home-brewed coffee.