Small outdoor spaces can be just as enjoyable for entertaining in the spring and summer as spacious ones — and tiny yards and patios also mean much less maintenance. It’s sometimes difficult to know where to start, however, when it comes to fitting out smaller spaces. Never fear: we’ve got loads of great backyard garden ideas, easy to follow gardening tips and everything else you need to know for how to take care of your garden, whatever the size.
Small garden ideas: how to create a cosy space
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a good book outdoors on a sunny day in your very own space. Here’s how to make it somewhere you love spending time:
- Plant flowers that bloom all year round. This will ensure there is some colour showing no matter what the month.
- Consider compact seating. Try hammocks or other fabric-based seating that can easily be folded away and stored inside when not in use.
- Think about lighting. Gardens are great places to enjoy at night. Outdoor lamps, fairy lights, or feature lighting can really help create a peaceful atmosphere.
- Paint a wall or fence. There’s nothing better than a pop of colour. Choose a bright hue and paint a feature wall.
- Add storage. Gardens need storage just like any room in the house. Opt for good quality, weather-proof boxes.
Home garden ideas: how to start a garden even in the smallest space
Here are some easy-to-follow gardening tips and tricks for even tiny backyard gardens:
- Use raised plant beds. These mean you’ll be able to fit more in by combining them with space on the ground.
- Choose plants that grow vertically. This will give you more space to fit things in. Good options include pole beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
- Protect what you plant. In a small space it’s easier for things to get trampled on, so protect your crops with signage, netting, and no-go areas for kids or pets.
- Maximise sunlight. Even really small spaces will get light at some point in the day. See when and where it falls in your garden and chose crops accordingly.
Those are our favourite gardening ideas for beginners and home gardening tips. Once you know how to grow a garden and transform your space, you’ll be able to spend many happy days and evenings enjoying your own patch of the great outdoors.