If your home is looking a little drab and dull, why not give it a new lease of life by painting the outside? It’s the part of your house that the whole world sees, so it’s important it’s always looking its best! To help you out, here’s everything you need to know, from house painting ideas to a step-by-step guide.
How to paint the outside of your house
Painting the outside of your house can seem pretty daunting if you don’t know what you’re doing. To help you get started and make sure your home always looks its best, here’s how to paint it:
- Wash the dirt and grime off of the walls.
- Remove any areas of chipped paint and sand down the surfaces.
- Fill any holes or cracks.
- Choose what colour to paint your house exterior.
- Use a paintbrush to start from the top of your home and work down.
Exterior house painting tips
When it comes to the exterior of your house, paint ideas and tips are vital for getting the finish you want. Check out these house painting tips to learn more:
- Plan ahead - Always check what the weather will be like before painting. Any rain is definitely a no!
- Uniform colour - Combine all your paint cans into one large container to make sure you end up with an even colour for your whole home.
- Prime - For the best finish, always use a primer on your walls.
Home exterior colour ideas
If you need some colour inspiration and home painting ideas, head to your local DIY store and ask for samples of colours you like. You can then patch test them on your walls before selecting the one you like the most.
If you want to get the job done quickly, opt for a colour that’s the same tone or darker than your home. This’ll save you from having to do multiple layers to cover the previous colour. If you’re struggling with exterior paint ideas, why not pick up a couple of house magazines or take a look online to find what you like? You can then take the colours with you to the paint store to find the closest match.
Painting the outside of your home yourself can save you a ton of money and isn’t as hard as you may think! Now you have these tips, tricks, and guide to follow, it’ll be a breeze. Just remember to check the weather forecast before you get out the paintbrushes.