Ever wondered how to make a greenhouse? Greenhouse design has come a long way in recent years and you may be surprised to know there are some pretty straightforward ways to make your own greenhouse and maintain it to a high standard. Here are our top greenhouse ideas and tips for building a greenhouse yourself.
What to consider before building a greenhouse
Building your own greenhouse is no easy undertaking, so be sure to think about these factors first:
- Do you have the space and time for this project?
- What materials will you need?
- Are there other people to help you with the build?
- How much is in your budget? Can you afford this project?
- What greenhouse design do you want? What will look best in your garden?
- What is the purpose of your greenhouse and how will the design affect this?
How to build a greenhouse
There are a few different options when it comes to building your own greenhouse:
- Build it from scratch: this is the hardest, so only opt for this approach if you’re experienced in building structures and have sufficient time on your hands.
- Use a pre-existing greenhouse plan: these are available to buy or can be downloaded from the web. This is easier than making it yourself as the design is pre-set but is still a big undertaking.
- Buy a pre-cut kit: choose this option if you have less time and/or little experience in building. These are, essentially, flat-pack greenhouses that can be put together according to the instructions.
If you haven’t got much space and are looking for ideas on how to build a small greenhouse, don’t worry. Lots of stores have reduced size versions that should fit even in the tiniest of spaces. Measure up and take the dimensions to your local gardening store for advice.
Aftercare: Top tips for greenhouse cleaning
No one wants to spend time in a mucky greenhouse so once it's built be sure to clean yours regularly!
Here are some top tips to help:
- Give surfaces and exposed areas a wipe down regularly each time you use the greenhouse.
- Empty the greenhouse once a month for a thorough clean.
- Give the structural frame a clean with disinfectant and wash the windows - both inside and out.
- Remove the plants from each shelve one by one and wipe away any dirt with a multipurpose cleaner, like Handy Andy.
- Use a duster to remove cobwebs and check for any signs of animals/pests.
Now all that’s left to do is sit back, relax and enjoy the fruits of your labour!