No matter what size yours is, having a balcony is a huge bonus in a home. You can use it as an outdoor space if you’re missing a garden or as a peaceful spot to watch the sun go down on a summer’s night. Of course, some clever design and décor can help you make the most of what you have, so check out these balcony ideas to see what you can do to maximise your area.
Balcony decoration ideas
If you don’t have an outdoor space, these balcony design ideas will help you decorate yours and love to spend time in it:
- Add a splash of colour. Why not brighten up your balcony by having a colour theme? From the railings to your furnishings, using colour is an easy way to upgrade your outdoor space.
- Add some height. For small balcony ideas, you can add height with thin, tall plants. They won’t take up too much floor space but will draw the eye upwards, creating the illusion of a bigger area.
- A touch of magic. Whether your balcony is big or small, you can instantly light it up with strings of fairy lights. They create the perfect spot for evening drinks with friends or a romantic meal.
Apartment balcony garden ideas
Balcony plant ideas can create a space that’s as full of life as a traditional garden:
- Add plant pots and fill them with flowers, shrubs, and trees. It’ll instantly create a more vibrant and welcoming space.
- Create a hanging garden. Tiny balconies will be better suited to balcony garden ideas that don’t take up too much space. Hanging baskets filled with flowers that grow upright or trail over the sides are ideal.
- Attach herb boxes and fill them with small but bright flowers for a pop of colour. This idea will make the most of your balcony railings.
Balcony furniture ideas
No outdoor space is complete without some furniture, so take a look at these small balcony furniture ideas that’ll help make your area more usable:
- Folding furniture. For small balconies, use tables and chairs that can fold away so they don't clutter your space when not in use. It’ll also help protect the furniture from bad weather.
- Floor pillows. Floor pillows are great for adding a more relaxed feel to your outdoor area and remove the need for bulky furniture.
- Outdoor rug. If you’re looking to add a cosy feel to your space or think it needs livening up, an outdoor rug is a great option. Pick one in a bold colour or pattern for a statement look.
A balcony can be a wonderful space if you decorate it properly. With our apartment balcony ideas, you can be sure to create an outdoor area that you'll love and make the most of, however small.